PayPal shopping cart questions

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Mar 9, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

I don't have a business account on PayPal, or the Pro cart. I was wondering if anyone here who has that service, or has set up sites with it can give me some input.

A client wants to use PayPal for payment on his website to save money. The problem is his product is a custom product. EG it starts at a base price, and options are added. Taxes and shipping and then added. That leads to the final price. Does PayPal even have a cart that can do something like this?

My only experience with PayPal is setting up "Pay Now" buttons on people's sites. Which is what the merchant features on a basic account lets you do.

I was going to suggest to the guy to just have a web form online that has all of the product options, then he send them out a PayPal invoice for the total when he gets the form. Seems like a pretty good solution for someone with practically no budget. Any opinions?

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Visit this page and then take the recommendation wizard linked on that page to see which options are best for you.

You're speaking of shopping cart features. Here is a great link on all the Paypal shopping carts available including a demo. But most any cart works with Paypal.

Your advice sounds good, and Paypal has an API so you can design your own cart if the default one they provide is unsufficient or one o the commercial ones do not fit your needs either. So plenty of choices.

-jim

3. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular

Designing the cart is a little beyond my abilities. But more important, the hours are out of his budget. When he came to me, he said he just wanted PayPal links on the site, which is within my abilities and doable. I don't really do much ecommerce related work other than that. But now that I see how is product is set up, I need some kind of a solution.

I will look through the other links though for sure and see if there is a solution in there.

Thanks a lot.