pb 12" issues wih leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'm having a huge issue with leopard on my pb 12" 1.5 ghz model. Immediately after I start the laptop, the cpu shoots to 100% running processes dealing with the OS and never comes down. Because of this, the fans run crazy and battery life is shortened significantly. How do I fix this? Is this a common issue? I was under the impression that leopard was an improvement on performance, not such a hindrance.

2. Billy Bob macrumors regular

wanna trade it for a 6 month old mac book?

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

wait a week and see if the problem goes away, its prolly just indexing your harddrive if it was just installed, my performance on my mbp didnt increase until exactly one week after i installed it, now it works great

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Disable dashboard. I did this on my 1.5ghz PPC G4 mac mini before the upgrade to Leopard to make things smoother. I have the same powerbook as you and I won't upgrade to leopard until I disable dashboard. I have max memory in the powerbook 1.25ghz and maxed mini ram too -- 1 gig -- these ram limitations also affect Leopard.

Both my 12" PB and Mini were upgraded to 100gb 7200rpm HD's, too, for better performance. Upgrading the hd on the pb is not THAT difficult, believe it or not.

5. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I did an Erase Install of Leopard on my 1.33GHz 12" PowerBook. Runs perfectly. Used Migration Assistant to copy back my user account from a SuperDuper! backup. Still re-installing my applications as needed, but I have had no problems whatsoever.

How did you install your copy?

6. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

you serious?

7. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

this is when the comp just booted up..dashboard has not been opened yet

8. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

upgrade

9. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Perhaps it's Spotlight indexing your Harddrive. Start your acivity monitor and look which process eats up you processing power.
    The Spotlight indexing process is called "mds".

Perhaps this helps.

10. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

thanks. This is exactly what happened. I left it on overnight and now its back to normal. Thanks!