PB 12" Superdrive Connected but Not Showing Up in System Profiler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a.chufong, May 2, 2008.

1. a.chufong macrumors member

Hey all,

I just got an OWC superdrive for my 12" PB. Using the ifixit instructions, I installed the drive, but now it won't show up in installer! I put in a blank CD, but the eject button wont' work, the "hold down the mouse button" trick doesn't work, nor does the eject command.

The drive is definitely connected to the board and I know this because it spins the blank CD when the computer starts up.

Am I missing a step here? Do I tried using PatchBurn, but it doesn't even recognize the superdrive. I apologize if I'm not being clear - I'm panicking a bit.

Thanks in advance for any help. Feel free to PM me in addition/instead of replying to the thread. Again, thanks!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What does it say in the System Profiler?
    Does it show up in the ATA section?
    It should atleast tell you it's Make, Model and Revision

3. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

We've got a full tech support team to help with stuff like this... by phone till 8PM CST (closed about 27 mins ago...) - but LiveChat still for another 2.5 hours tonight - or e-mail.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/index.cfm

They have to operate prior to ship out as for proper operation, a firmware update (using approved integrator software that is provided to us by Panasonic) is performed to the drive.

Hopefully something simple... if it's spinning up, got power - but maybe the data cable isn't fully connected at some point? Did the drive you had before work correctly and this an upgrade or was there a problem with the prior drive that promted.

The PB 12" is a real pain to open up, that I know too.

I encourage you to give our support a call, chat, or e-mail. :)

4. a.chufong thread starter macrumors member

UltraNEO*: I can't find the ATA section under the System Profiler - maybe I missed it?
    OWC Larry: I sent an email to the tech support staff.

Any additional help or guidance would be appreciated.

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh... Well, depending on the version of the OS, it could be labelled differently. Perhaps Optical Device, Disc Burning or something else (In Leopard it has both ATA and Disc Burning).

Attached Files:

6. a.chufong thread starter macrumors member

The ATA controller shows that the hard drive is present, but it doesn't say anything about the Superdrive.

7. a.chufong thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: I tore down the PB again and replaced the amber IDE cable with a spare that I had laying around, but no success - the drive still does not show up in the ATA tree.

I'm really at a loss at this point and I'm losing hope. Does anyone have experience with this? Any more thoughts on what I could do?

8. berns19 macrumors newbie

I replaced the drive in my PB 12", and the replacement spun up and usually showed up in System Profiler, especially with PatchBurn (but I have Leopard, which obviates the need for it). The my case the problem is that putting the case back together the right keyboard screw I put in was not the original one (it was from somewhere else in the computer), so it was too long and dug in to the drive a little part. Of course, it took me a few complete disassemblies and phone calls and, in the end, dumb luck to find out. You can still boot up the computer and see if the drive works, even if the keyboard screws aren't in. YMMV.

9. a.chufong thread starter macrumors member

Bern: by the right keyboard screw, did you mean the screw on the right side of the keyboard or the hex screw on the top of the palm rest? Thanks for helping me work through this.

10. berns19 macrumors newbie

I mean the keyboard screw, between the F11 and F12 keys -- it was poking down into the metal frame of the SuperDrive enough so that the motor inside couldn't push media out.