PB and the Intel Transition

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AUBPsych, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. AUBPsych macrumors member


    Oct 19, 2005
    Before everyone jumps on me about mentioning the Intel transition so early, I need to briefly explain my situation.

    I am transferring May of 2006 to another university and will be taking summer classes - that's when I'm planning to buy a PB with my edu. discount. This will be the first Mac I've ever bought, and I'm really excited. However, I am pretty much a poor college student making sure I get all the bang I can for a buck (Macintosh-wise, anyway). Seeing that the Intels are allegedly due June of 2006 (hopefully the pro-line comes first), would it be better to buy a Rev A Intel Powerbook, or the last PPC Powerbook? This computer has to last four years - I will NOT have enough money to buy another computer for the entirety of my academic career (no not even a Dell). I have heard that Rev A Macs are "notoriously" bug-infested and that's the last thing I need from a computer. Who knows, maybe the Intel Rev A's will be different. I just need some expert opinions!


    [P.S. - I looked through the other threads and even Googled this, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.]
  2. miloblithe macrumors 68020


    Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Unfortunately, I think the reliability of Rev A macs depends on too many factors to reliably predict. Unreliable reliability? Basically, it seems to me, that it depends overall on how much Apple rushes to market with the Intel chips or Apple takes its time. Considering revenues look good and the transition has a long planning time, I'd think that, at least hardware-wise, the Rev A Intel books would be pretty solid. However, if the Yonah is delayed like some have rumored, all bets are off.

    The bigger worry is problems with OSX running on Intel in general. It's bound to have some glitches, but in the long-run it's the better way to go. In the last year or two of your planned four years, having the Intel mac would probably be better, as there are bound to be new bits of software that will not run on older PPC systems.

    I'd say it's a tough call, and difficult to predict almost a year out. If there's a nice PPC update in the winter, that helps that side. If the first Intel macs are "crippled", that weakens that side.
  3. wide macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2004
    you should wait till the intel pbooks are released. you'll simply regret it if you buy the old G4 powerbook. any, also, any problems you encounter in the intel powerbook will be fixed by apple for a year after your purchase regardless of whether you have applecare. and if there is some terrible problem will all models, like the screen hinges breaking (as happened with the tibook) or the motherboard burning out (ibooks), apple will probably fix that even after the 1-year warranty is over.

    i'd definitely go with the intel powerbook, you may want to spend a little extra to buy an external hard drive (you can find them for pretty cheap) and just back up your files every week to be sure that no disaster will destroy all your files. usually, when your computer breaks beyond the point of repair, apple will just send you a brand new one but you lose all of your files, so an external hard drive might help in the rare case your computer malfunctions.
  4. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a


    Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think anyone will be able to tell you a definite answer until more specs come out about the intels, but it's good to start thinking about it now.

    I'm a poor college student as well, and I knew that my PowerBook would have to last me the rest of my undergrad years (this is my second year) and possibly through law school. Besides the fact that I couldn't wait another year for a computer, I thought it would be better to go with PPC since it's nice and stable.

    There are pros and cons for doing it both ways, and I guess it all depends on whether you're willing to take a chance and get the next big thing. In either case, I'd get Apple Care, just in case something happens. Other than that, the best advice I can give you is to stay on the forums and keep researching things until it's time for you to buy.
  5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040


    Mar 15, 2005
    When do you guys think we'll see the Intel Powerbooks? Is Macworld possible? If not, certainly before WWDC in June, don't you think?

    I mean, I think the update today really proves that they are hard at work on the Intel Powerbooks, for a first half 2006 release.
  6. actingbiz1 macrumors member


    Oct 19, 2005
    Behind You...
    I don't understand how Intell would be better than the current IBM freescale processers.... First OSX thrives on the freescale core, and I think they are much fatser compaired to the Intel Pentium 4 3.6GHz. Or atleast I think so.
    And now with that QUAD G5!!! It would leave intel in the dust!
    I donno, I think initially, itels boards and apple software will conflict with one another for the first year or year and a half. All of apples software works well with IBM, and Final cut, motion, etc. take their power from the core video and audio.
    Ohwell we shall see....
  7. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005

    Just to correct some errors..

    Freescale was Motorola.
    Motorola is not related to IBM.
    OSX is just OSX, it is not a living organism.. it thrives on nothing.
    Quad G5 is good.. can I order a quad G5 PB now? This thread is about PBs, who cares about the PMs.
    Try comparing the G4 to the Pentium-M.. and you will see who REALLY eats who..
  8. iEdd macrumors 68000


    Aug 8, 2005
    Oh apple takes its time alright :D :eek: :( :mad:

Share This Page