PB can't remember wifi

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kylera, Dec 29, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I just noticed how on my PowerBook G4 12" running Leopard, it can't seem to remember any wi-fi networks it has connected to. After either starting up from a shutdown or waking up from sleep, I always have to manually select the wi-fi network. Has anyone else had this issue?

2. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Yes. Well, almost. I had this problem where my network was successfully remembered, but the password was not. It still occurs once in a while (mostly when I come back from traveling or a complete shutdown but not always in these cases). I just saved a text file with one of the working password keys and copy paste it whenever it is needed. This is by no means a recommended sollution, but I must confess I took this problem for a "quirk" amongst many and just gave up beforehand.

3. DarkSel macrumors regular

I'm having this issue as well. Still can't find a fix.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Guys, try this. Open your Network Preferences (in System Preferences) and click the Advanced button. Under the Airport tab, select each network and delete them until the list is empty. Get and write down any passwords or settings you need to if you don't have them handy before you do this.

Click Apply and then close System Preferences.

Go here: Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences

Delete these prefs:
    com.apple.alf.plist
    com.apple.nat.plist
    com.apple.networkConfig.plist

Those are the files where your network prefs are stored. Technically you can get away with leaving the last two, but the alf.plist is the airport pref file so you want to delete that one. No worries, when you set up again this pref will be regenerated.

Restart. Reconnect to the network you intend to use and enter all the login details. Make sure the password is stored in the keychain. You'll have to do this for each network you use until you get all of them back in.

That should take care of it.

I had this problem a year or so ago and the Airport/Network preferences is the culprit. You have to delete everything out and start over after a restart.

Hope it helps.

5. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Sounds like a good fix.

I had a similar problem with AirPort Extreme, and I don't remember how I fixed it.

I haven't been using APE for some time now, and the problem never re-appeared.