PB G4 12" Glitchy RAM Expasion Slot

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
My PowerBook G4 12" seems to slowly be getting closer to death. First issue was half my dedicated VRAM died (a few months ago), and now I have noticed that the RAM expansion slot on the bottom is glitching big time.

The reason I say this is that it keeps kernel panicking with 2 different RAM modules. One is the 512MB it came with, and the other is a 1GB I bought to upgrade it to the max of 1.25GB. After running the 1GB for a while the system was getting KP's every 30-60 min. So I went back to the original 512MB, but after a while got KP's again.

Yesterday I had the idea to run it with no RAM at all in the expansion slot, and have had no KP's at all ever since. So it looks like I will have to use this PowerBook for the rest of it's days with a mere 256MB RAM.

Any ideas? I have already cleared the PRAM and NVRAM many times. I would rather just buy another one than a new board.

Last edited:

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Is power supply (battery or ac/dc adapter) OK? I raise this because my MDD had similar problems when its PSU was failing.

Reactions: Raging Dufus

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
That would make no sense, because it's using the same power brick now and getting no KP's. It's the stock one that came with it. The battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, so it's always running off wall power.

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
That would make no sense, because it's using the same power brick now and getting no KP's. It's the stock one that came with it. The battery doesn't hold a charge anymore, so it's always running off wall power.
Can you give the ram slot a clean with some IPA on a cotton bud?

I have had good experiences with PowerBookMedic.com and have bought a few logic boards for G3s and G4s. They were quite cheap. It might be worth just replacing the board. The VRAM issue and now the memory bank issue would be a sign of constant excess heat doing damage to the components.

timidpimpin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Can you give the ram slot a clean with some IPA on a cotton bud?

I have had good experiences with PowerBookMedic.com and have bought a few logic boards for G3s and G4s. They were quite cheap. It might be worth just replacing the board. The VRAM issue and now the memory bank issue would be a sign of constant excess heat doing damage to the components.
Wow! Those parts are super cheap! $1.18 for a used replacement DVD drive. That's incredible!

As for heat... the CPU is often in the 40 and 50 celsius range. Nowhere near too hot since 70 is the danger zone. I also did clean the slot. First with an air duster and then with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip.

Reactions: AphoticD