PB G4 15" 1.33GHZ Worth $400?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobjob186, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

15" 1.33Ghz G4 Powerbook
    60GB hard drive
    2GB RAM
    Superdrive
    Original Restore Discs
    Adobe CS (with install discs)

worth $400 shipped?

2. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

3. descartes macrumors 6502

depends on the condition. sounds like a solid deal.

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If you don't like new technology and don't care about Snow Leopard. Sure, buy it. I would rather spend double the money and get a new MacBook White on sale. Or, you could buy a BRAND NEW Windows laptop for $400. They are at Best Buy, Fry's, and Incredible every weekend for $400. I think the idea of spending $400 on an old technology is a waste. It is still $400, and why buy something that will not run new apps...

Just my opinion as I think if it were $200, you could make an argument of the value. But at $400, I would compare what $400 would buy you...

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Its a good deal when you look at the market, but I wouldn't be interested in it for that much. Personally I would wait a bit for the MBP prices to go down, which will probably cause MB prices to go down, which you can then get for not much more. I bought a pretty much new MB from ebay 6 months ago for $700, so $400 for a third the computing power doesn't seem that great of a deal.

6. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

I agree with you 100% and will never understand why people spend hundreds of dollars on used G4 and G5 Macs when they could get the latest technology for just a few hundred more in the refurb store or just a wait a few pay checks to add the extra money. I also agree that if you cannot afford a new Mac then buy a Windows box with the latest technology, I do not believe in buying someones old piece of junk which in the case of Mac's there is a dirty little secret called kernel panics.

7. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

A lot of people also don't have an income (like me, im 14) so you have to work with what you are given :) In my case, since I waited like everyone here said to I am getting a MacBook!

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The Powerbook G4 is "special" some people are crazy obsessed over that particular form factor. Truth be told I would get one for that price in a heart beat if it was Intel (even if it was slow). Or maybe a few and then build a Powerbook Cluster :cool:

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Management Consultant
    New Aluminum 2.4 GHz MacBook - You could have got 4 PC's for that:)
    iPhone 3G (white) & iPod 30 GB
    AirPort Extreme & AppleTV

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

hit up CRAZYBUBBA for:
    15"
    1.33 ghz G4 processor
    1.5 gb ram
    100 gb HD
    Combo
    Airport/bluetooth, USB 2.0
    Original 10.2 cds and manual.

for $350

11. descartes macrumors 6502

used macbook prices still seem to be hovering around $700. Sure a mb would be better but if that is the most you can afford what can you do. if you dont need portability, a used intel mac mini setup can be found for around $400.

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Where are you looking, I can't seem to find any Intel Mac Mini's going for less then $500-$600 on eBay. G4's are cheaper. Mac Mini's seem to be very overpriced for what they are.

13. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Mac mini's a sorta portable, if you have a small screen with you or something, or in the car if you have the proper ports... n outlets... n space... k nevermind, bad idea

14. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Something nobody mentioned yet, this could be well worth it for the Adobe CS discs alone, if it is an original version. As far as I know you can upgrade to CS4 from CS, so in the end you will get CS4 and the PowerBook for less than the regular Adobe CS4 package.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I was thinking the same thing. You get a computer out of it, but in the long run you get CS4 for less. I would do it in a heartbeat.

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I do NOT have a budget problem and am NOT paying $400 for an old technology. Quite honestly, the value of a $2499 MBA is greater than the value of a $400 OLD technology PB with a G4 chip.

The OP is asking of VALUE, is it worth $400. I merely explained why it is NOT worth $400. So, while I could afford a $1599 MB, I understand some cannot. For those who cannot or do NOT want to spend more than $400, I would encourage them to get the MOST technology for their $400... and that is the value in a Windows laptop for $400 over a four year old, outdated, PB.

So, why don't you worry about what the argument is and NOT what I could afford.

Best wishes to all. Happy Holidays.

17. descartes macrumors 6502

you are right that they are over priced. but still you can find the latest intel mini on the apple refurb for $499 occasionally and used for under $400 on craigslist. solos are even cheaper.

18. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Who does have a budget problem? The OP's sig has a C2D MB, a 3G iPhone and is WTB an intel mini.:):)(2 smilies this time. Guess 1 wasn't good enough.)

19. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

lol, he let this go and hasn't come back yet, daily notification or something?

20. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Merely clarifying my purchases and budget. Not to say the OP has a budget problem. I am merely identifying that I do not have a problem buying a $1599 MB. It is my budget, nobody else that I am referring to. So, my point was someone had to say sure cause I spent $1599 on a new MB. I don't have a problem spending $1599 as it's in my budget. AND, I think at $1599, the new MBs are an incredible VALUE. So, no, I am not going to buy four $400 Windows Laptops...

But if I were ONLY spending $400, I would buy a brand new Windows Laptop over a four or five year old PB that has OLD technology. That's ME. My whole point.

21. Alex72 macrumors member

I second (or third) that agreement! Had I a free $400 sitting around, I would snatch that thing right up, along with those discs. It *is* allot, compared to a $400 Windows laptop right now, but no Windows laptop shipping at that price now would be as nice a computer to actually touch or be around as that PB. Plus, as I'm typing this on a 2001 Dual-533MHz G4, that PB would probably be a big step-up in power for me, esp. on single-processor stuff... :)

A.

22. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I payed $600 for a 12" PB 1.5 Ghz. I don't think it was worth it but; I like it, I wanted it and it works great.

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

This may be an obvious question, but what will the OP be using it for? And like Scottsdale pointed out, do we presume that the discussion is limited to Macs?

If the OP is going to be using it for word processing and surfing the web, and HAS to have portability and OSX, then it's not bad for the price. Macs keep their value longer than PC's. There's a place here in OKC selling similar iBooks with less ram, smaller hard drives, etc., for $325, and I'd rather have the PB for the extra $75.

If he's using it for basic, non-demanding stuff and doesn't have to have OSX, I'd buy an Eee PC off of craigslist.