PB G4 15 inch screen problems . . . again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexKintner, Mar 21, 2008.

1. AlexKintner Guest

I know it's been discussed before on the forums but can't find this. My 4 year old 15 inch PB G4 is (aside from requisite old battery dying problem) having screen problems. Bottom half of screen is basically freezing a gray or double image of what's on screen but it does disappear when I move the hinge. I heard this could be a hinge problem or a logic board problem. So any help in
    A) what problem is it?
    B) Is it worth fixing or better to buy new? (on this point, hoping to wait for rumored 15 inch chip revisions thought to be announced in June)

thanks for any help

2. Samlowry macrumors newbie

I asked an apple genius a while back and it could cost around 300ish. it's not worth it for a g4 which is now really only good for safari and itunes. hehe....

the good news is that it doesn't seem to get worse... aside from having to massage the hinge and the lcd from time to time.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

I had that problem and needed the screen to be replaced.

4. AlexKintner thread starter Guest

thanks for the help

Thanks for replying to the thread. I've been treating my laptop with kid gloves and just want it to last through the next 15 inch upgrade. If it's the screen instead of something worse, I can hopefully last a few more months.

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Granted, it's a moot point now, but this is a perfect example of where AppleCare would have saved your machine....if it's not too old.

MacDann

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I've had this same problem on my 15" 1.5GHz Powerbook G4. Granted, it started happening when I was in Iraq so getting it fixed was out of the question. When I returned home, I sent it in to Apple(TY AppleCare) and the screen was eventually replaced. I thought that solved my problem but when I got the machine back, the screen blacked out, save for a thin strip where I could see the desktop. I sent it back in and the turnaround was literally like a day. After seeing the repair notes, the technician simply replaced a video cable and I haven't encountered any problems since. This all happened back in 2006 and I just recently sold the PowerBook and haven't had any problems since.

7. AlexKintner thread starter Guest

checking the end of my extended Apple Care

Apple Care has helped in the past, unfortunately I believe I am past the end of my previous subscription to AC. If I can't keep it holding on, at least it sounds like a video problem instead of something worse(though that is bad enough)

If it holds on a little longer, I can get the next model and add this one to the 'museum' of dead macs I've had since '86. Of course, back then a gig was unknown and hard floppys were the new wave of computers. no hard drive - just floppys. painful to think about now but amazing at the time.

8. Samlowry macrumors newbie

wow... does it really take a genius to figure out that the problem lies with the cable and not the screen itself? the mere fact that the problem is fixed by merely moving the hinge a few centimeters should easily point to that conclusion.

Even I knew that.

what is the requirement to be a mac "genius" anyways?

9. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

i guess there is ........ NONE! :D