Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr C Plane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I've searched the forums and found no answer.
Got a 17" G4 Powerbook. It won't charge the battery - that's the obvious issue.
It also goes to a very dark screen when the battery gets to 0% but still on mains power.
It ejects the external hard drive and then gives the error message of "you idiot you unplugged an external device without my permission"..or whatever. (suggesting there is a power issue via external devices needing power from the usb socket...and yes it does it in both sockets)
and finally, it has the ability to make the power supply go dead at a whim. The orange glow on the end of the psu sometimes flickers giving a flicker to the screen too.

To help in your evaluation of the situation, I have access to another 17" PB so.. I have swapped the batteries - both charge fine in machine 2. I've swapped power supplies - both work fine on machine 2. I have to plug the 'dead' psu into machine 2 to get it back to life sometimes.

I have coconut battery running and it confirms the battery isn't charging.
I've reset the PRAm and I've reset the PMU.

So..any suggestions?
It's running OSX 10.5.8 and has the 1.67GHz PowerPc.
I've not had it long so don't know it's history.
My only straw I am clinging to is that the person before restored it to factory settings and so it needs to have a firmware update..?
I've done all the latest software updates but to no avail.

Any suggestions welcome - based on the above info.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.