PB G4 AC adapter isn't recognized by the computer!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jadex, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jadex macrumors newbie

I've been searching the archives, and I couldn't find a thread related to my particular parameters, so I've decided to post my problem.

I own a PowerBook G4, 1.5 GHz PowerPC, 512 SDRAM, 60 GB, no superdrive. I have had it for a little over 2 years now.

My power adapter used to plug and hold in the power socket to charge the battery. When you plug the adapter in, usually the adapter ring flashes orange and then changes to green (if the computer's on; if it isn't, the light stays orange or dark orange). The computer will show that the power source has changed from batter to the adapter, and it will charge.

In the past 4-6 months however, when I plug the adapter in, the ring stays orange in color, and the computer will not change the power source from the battery to the adapter. it's like it doesn't recognize it.

Before, I was able to twiddle around with the adapter plug-in cord, and when you bend it a certain way, it would change to the green and begin powering.

Today, however, I plugged the adapter in (because my battery's begun to lose its ability to hold a charge, I have to plug it in a lot - and I JUST got the battery brand-new last year from the recall!) - and it won't recognize the power adapter and switch over so it can charge. And now, even when twiddling with the cord itself, it twists easily in the power socket and I don't think there's a connection there.

Is the problem REALLY with the adapter, or could it be something wrong with the socket, making this an internal issue? I'm going to get a different adapter from a friend to try out to make sure, but I am almost sure that this is internal.

Also ,I'm a student, and I'm in the midst of a billion and one projects and thesis papers and whatnot - the last thing I need is to have to drop another $2K on a new computer. Everything's backed up on an external hard drive, of course, but it's a real pain - especially after I switched to Macs because they're supposed to be more reliable!

Additional info: I have 3-year AppleCare. Would this be covered under it?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts/comments!

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Your best bet would be to take it to a apple repair shop if you have one near by. They can check it there. Just make sure you bring to charger with the to test. As far as I know if you push hard enough you can get a free charger for them, but I don't think apple care covers chargers...

3. jadex thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Reflow!

I went and got another brand-new charger from a friend; it seems to be working fairly well now. Except the same thing is beginning to happen; usually the magnetism between the cord and the outlet keeps the cord in place, but sometimes when I plug the power cord in there doesn't seem to be that magnetism.

I'll probably have to go down to the Apple store. Thankfully it is about 10-15 minutes away. It's just finding the time to get there that's the problem.

If it does happen to be the power outlet and not the cord, I don't know if/what they will do. I mean, they don't make PB 12" anymore, though I'm still under warranty...they surely wouldn't give me a new Mac even though I paid about as much for it as the newer ones are now, and I definitely don't have enough money to buy a new one...hopefully it will hold out until next week when I have time to get down there.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That seems normal behaviour - orange means it's charging the battery, and green means the battery is full.

I have the same laptop, and when I pug in the powerlead, it flashes green for about 2 sec as the connection is made, then goes orange while its charging. When the battery meter in the apple menu shows the battery is full, the LED in the power connector goes green.
    yeah mine's become fiddly. It looses the connection very easily, and sometimes I have to rotate the connector. Also there's often a bright white flash from the wall power power socket when I plug it in (even if the lead is not connected to the laptop) which is a bit scary,

I have the same problem. My battery only lasts about 4 minutes now, and will die instantly without any warning. And my laptop wasn't listed in the recall, so I'm stuck.
    Your description of the orange and green seems backwards. I think its charging even though you think it's not. Any colour, orange or green means you have a connection there. Check what it says in the apple menu at the top of your screen.

Since you have applecare, take it to a shop. (or ring apple)