PB G4 Al... how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kallemia, Feb 28, 2008.

1. kallemia macrumors member

kallemia

Well, I currently have an Aluminum Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz with 2 MB ram, and was wondering ... I want a Mac Pro, but would rather wait til the next design/architecture since it means buying a screen and all... so I'm thinking about buying a fully loaded 17 inch Mac Pro. What is my PowerBook worth (it definitely needs a new battery... this is the original and after 4 yrs, it's time for a replacement, so I would factor that into the price). I was sort of thinking $600.. is that too much?

Thanks,

Karl Maria

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Uhh. Okay, I take it you mean MacBook Pro and your PB has 2GB ram. :p

Check eBay's completed listings and get an idea for how much similar models fetch at the auction's end.

3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Well, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

Take a look on eBay and see what they are going for (use the completed items only). When I last valued my 1.0ghz PowerBook in January and it was somewhere between $400-600.

4. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

What is the condition? If great condition with Tiger disks (and/or additional upgraded software), you may get $700 - 900 on Craigslist or ebay.

5. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

Well you're right on one matter. I have 2 GB RAM. But my ultimate goal is a Mac Pro... I want a desktop eventually, but am not sure I can wait til the next chip architecture before I upgrade. So, in the meantime, I figure I can sell the PB and apply that to the RAM upgrade I'll need to do for the (temporary), MBP 17.

Yeah, it's confusing. Thanks to the others for the ideas. I think I'd sell this for $500... $700 seems too much for a non-Intel chip

K

6. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

7. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

You might be waiting a while - Mac Pros just got updated last month, and it took 18 months to happen!

As for the resale value.... well, maybe there's some added value to a PPC-era "collector" (they exist!)

8. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

I was able to get a lot of offers for 700 on Craigslist.

But then I upgraded my HDD to a 250gb

so I'd say somewhere around 500 to 600?

or 700 if you're lucky

9. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

Thanks

this more or less confirms what I was thinking. the other posts as well. mine will come with Adobe CS2, so that will be of value to someone, I guess.
    K

10. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

kallemia

upgrading

Understood. Ultimately, my goal is to get 4 yrs out of this PB.... whatever happens after that depends on what's available then... but I guess I'm cheating a bit with this dream of a super MBP 17 inch. I can wait. But selling the PB now seems like a good idea.
    K