PB G4 Al... how much is it worth?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kallemia, Feb 28, 2008.

  1. kallemia macrumors member

    kallemia

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #1
    Well, I currently have an Aluminum Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz with 2 MB ram, and was wondering ... I want a Mac Pro, but would rather wait til the next design/architecture since it means buying a screen and all... so I'm thinking about buying a fully loaded 17 inch Mac Pro. What is my PowerBook worth (it definitely needs a new battery... this is the original and after 4 yrs, it's time for a replacement, so I would factor that into the price). I was sort of thinking $600.. is that too much?

    Thanks,

    Karl Maria
     
  2. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #2
    Uhh. Okay, I take it you mean MacBook Pro and your PB has 2GB ram. :p

    Check eBay's completed listings and get an idea for how much similar models fetch at the auction's end.
     
  3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

    CalMin

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2007
    #3
    Well, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

    Take a look on eBay and see what they are going for (use the completed items only). When I last valued my 1.0ghz PowerBook in January and it was somewhere between $400-600.
     
  4. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    #4
    What is the condition? If great condition with Tiger disks (and/or additional upgraded software), you may get $700 - 900 on Craigslist or ebay.
     
  5. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

    kallemia

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #5
    Well you're right on one matter. I have 2 GB RAM. But my ultimate goal is a Mac Pro... I want a desktop eventually, but am not sure I can wait til the next chip architecture before I upgrade. So, in the meantime, I figure I can sell the PB and apply that to the RAM upgrade I'll need to do for the (temporary), MBP 17.

    Yeah, it's confusing. Thanks to the others for the ideas. I think I'd sell this for $500... $700 seems too much for a non-Intel chip

    K


     
  6. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2007
    #6
  7. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #7
    You might be waiting a while - Mac Pros just got updated last month, and it took 18 months to happen!

    As for the resale value.... well, maybe there's some added value to a PPC-era "collector" (they exist!)
     
  8. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #8
    I was able to get a lot of offers for 700 on Craigslist.

    But then I upgraded my HDD to a 250gb

    so I'd say somewhere around 500 to 600?

    or 700 if you're lucky
     
  9. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

    kallemia

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #9
    Thanks

    this more or less confirms what I was thinking. the other posts as well. mine will come with Adobe CS2, so that will be of value to someone, I guess.
    K


     
  10. kallemia thread starter macrumors member

    kallemia

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2007
    #10
    upgrading

    Understood. Ultimately, my goal is to get 4 yrs out of this PB.... whatever happens after that depends on what's available then... but I guess I'm cheating a bit with this dream of a super MBP 17 inch. I can wait. But selling the PB now seems like a good idea.
    K

     

Share This Page