PB G4 DC-in card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottuf, Feb 13, 2009.

1. scottuf macrumors 6502

Does anyone have experience in getting their dc-in card changed out? I have a 15" Al PowerBook G4 that isn't getting power any more. I'm on my 3rd or 4th power adapter already (the mag safe on my unibody is such a better design), and just bought another new one to rule that out. its out of warranty, so i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on any of the repair shops out there.

Thanks.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Powerbookmedic.com has done good work for me in the past with this type of repair. With the parts & labor, you're going to spend around $200 with them. Apple charges at least $300 flat fee to look at your computer and fix what's wrong with it (out of warranty).
    **The plus of going with Apple is that they warranty the repair for 90 days.

Another option is to simply do the replacement yourself by purchasing the part from eBay, iFixit, or PBMedic as they have the most competitive pricing. Then just use one of the photo repair guides they supply online. But you should be fairly comfortable opening up your computer to do this, and understand the basics of working with computers (grounding yourself, handling parts, etc.).

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The DC in board is integral to the notebook, and it can be quite tricky to replace, but iFixit.com has an excellent guide, i only know that because I had to replace the part a while back on a friends PowerBook G4 12" (Those small cases are slightly different, but I think the procedure is similar)

4. scottuf thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the response. i was considering doing it myself, but this look way more difficult than just swapping out the hard drive, and not worth the risk to break something. i think i'll go with pbmedic. THANKS!