PB G4 does not boot after chime...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by travesty031, Jun 10, 2009.

1. travesty031 macrumors newbie

ok.. I think I have done it this time. Yesterday I installed a new Combo drive in my powerbook g4 12"867MHz 640mb. I followed the ifixit.com instructions to the tee. i successfully installed the optical drive and reassembled the machine. When i tried to boot up, I heard the normal chime a heard the HD start up, but the screen stayed black. After a couple minutes the fan started reving and then the system shut down. I reset the PMU and Pram already.... Does anyone have any idea as to what I may have done or how I might fix this problem?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What Speed / generation Powerbook is this?

You may have a bad connection on the drive that is causing the system to not be able to see your boot disk, or it could be some other connection that is not properly connected. Does the display light up at all, if so, how far does it go?

3. travesty031 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the reply... speed is 867MHz and i'm not sure the generation. how would i tell? and the display does not light up at all.

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Whenever possible, I try to boot a system with it mostly taken apart when I am installing new hardware. I do this to verify that it will work before I put everything together, but only if you can ensure nothing will get grounded, or contacted to metal that shouldn't.

I would start by re-seating (removing and re-connecting) all the connections you removed, and ensure that they are properly connected. If that does not work, try removing the newly installed hardware from the system, and see if it boots fine without it. It is possible that there is a hardware / software issue with the new device, causing your system to not boot.

HTH
    [​IMG]