PB G4 overheating and slowing down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miremara, May 10, 2009.

1. miremara macrumors newbie

Dear community.

Few weeks ago while typing I heard like a crack inside. Ever since my Powerbook makes a funny noise, got extremely slow (I cant watch videos properly anymore), but the worse is that after 20 min it overheats so badly (mainly in the left side, right side is colder) that my fingertips burn when typing or using the track pad. My palms are red by now. This wasn't happening before, so could it be serious?

I put it to sleep every now and then to cools off, but the burning and poor performance is getting unbearable and I need it badly for my thesis writing.

Less than a year ago while on minor repair of the adapter port, the staff made a mistake and had to replace my keyboard, case and main logic circuit for free. So I dont trust those Regent St. guys anymore. Please help!!

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Do you have applecare? Have you tried running the apple hardware test or tech tool deluxe disks on it?

3. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Have you tried selling it and getting a newer intel mac?

4. bikalpapaudel macrumors member

bikalpapaudel

^ That aint remotely a solution.
    -------

@OP

As you say something cracked, I suppose it has to do with cooling the PB.
    Maybe the fan? Maybe heatsinks got displaced?

I suggest you to stop using it altogether and take it for servicing. Using it anymore could be harmful.

5. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

Fans

I had a fan go, and it overheated on the broken fan side and performance suffered. It's an easy fix, about 13.00 for the fan and if it's a top screw model,(where they don't have to pull the motherboard to take out a screw), It should be just an hours labor. I went the extra mile and had both fans replaced on the theory that if one goes, the other is sure to follow.
    If your powerbook is fine in every other aspect, you should be able to get it fixed for under $100. I had the older fans with side screws so it cost me about $200. was well worth it because I got it all inspected and cleaned, like a new powerbook! I have a new MacBook Pro, but I use my G4 as my internet and media machine, as well as keeping it at 10.4 for my legacy software. It's neat surfing and listening to tunes on the G4 and crunching video files on the MacBook Pro at the same time.:)

Also if you don't have a good repair place, I can recommend a mail in Mac repair house that is wonderful and reasonable with a fast turnaround. I live on the road, so I have to have mail in service. They send you a padded mailer and you send it to them. They do the repair and send it back. Great people to work with, reasonable prices. http://www.tyrosys.com. Apple certified too.

6. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Sounds like a solution to me, diff mac, problem solved

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Are you confident in dismantling it? it's possible the fans and heatsinks may be full with dust.