PB G4 prob, battery/screen/logic board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by njosnari, Aug 21, 2008.

1. njosnari macrumors newbie

I have a 1.5 ghz g4 powerbook that for some time, has had an issue with the screen. upon awaking from sleep, or logging in, the screen would flicker, eventually subsiding on it's own, or stopping if i detected display or changed the resolution. last week, while running on battery, the thing just died. now, it powers on and runs just fine while plugged in, but if i start it running off the battery, the screen will just flicker until it dies (takes about 5-10 second). that is, if i am doing something on it. if i let the computer sit, i can run the battery down. which, btw will never charge to 100%. calibrating the battery, i can inch the percentage up and up, to about 60% now. i've checked it with coconut battery, and my current capacity is 1949 (44%) with load cycles at 583. charger connected, and "battery is charging" seems to switch from yes to no and back again intermittently.
    i was thinking about getting a new battery, but going by coconut, that seems to be relatively ok. i've zapped the pramm as well. could this still be the battery? perhaps the logic board? is it possible that i have a short in the screen connection?

any ideas?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like a bad inverter for the screen, and either a bad DC/DC board on the computer or a bad connector to the battery.

TEG

3. njosnari thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yea, one other thing...

i've also noticed a regular clicking sound coming from somewhere near the power adapter port. clicks very quietly about once a second.

if that helps...