PB G4 with sounds to HDMI?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cfhjag, Jun 14, 2013.

1. cfhjag macrumors member

Hello,

Simple question: Is there a way to connect the sound and video coming out from the Powerbook into one HDMI connection? I'm using a HDMI switch and this would solve a big problem for me...

Found stuff like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-Mini-...sr=8-1&keywords=HDMI+Adapter+for+Powerbook+G4

But since all sound coming out of the PB is through the audio port, it won't quite cut it...

Thanks for any help!

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

DVI only contains video information. To get sound through HDMI you need to convert to digital first. I believe the high resolution PowerBooks had an analog / digital combo jack. It's a moot point though, because you'd need to find an adapter which allowed you to input audio and video from different sources.

Is there a reason why you need it all to go over HDMI?

3. cfhjag thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm using one of those:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinivo-501B...ie=UTF8&qid=1371245755&sr=8-2&keywords=kinivo

Hooked up to my Apple TV, Xbox and TV box. I want to be able to switch between them easily and the Kinivo is perfect for that (automatic switch) but if the sound can't be carried over from the G4 "Media center" it won't really work...

----------

This looks interesting:
    http://www.cableworld.se/Billeder/bigEVN-1740.jpg

----------

...or this?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

----------

Or this:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011405&p_id=5369&seq=1&format=2

It's getting pretty expensive though, might be better off getting a new mac mini instead :) Don't want to give up my lovely G4!

----------

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1011405&p_id=8124&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

4. Wildy macrumors 6502

You will have to check the HDMI spec, but I'm pretty sure there's no analog audio passthrough, meaning solution #1 won't work. Using the 3.5mm - phono cable from #1 with the DVI + Audio - HDMI box from #4 would be the solution - unless you have the aforementioned optical out in which case you could look for a cheaper option.

I don't know anything about Apple's proprietary display connectors, so I'm not sure if the other one would work.

Most TVs should have a separate input jack for audio which presumably is overridden by the audio coming over HDMI - in which case that would be the perfect solution meaning you can have the video switcher + audio cable connected, but the audio only comes through when the PowerBook is on because there is nothing coming over HDMI (unlike the other sources).

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have this…
    DVI to HDMI adapter. As I understand it, at least with the PowerBooks Apple did not include audio with the DVI format. I just run a standard HDMI cable to my plasma tv. My TV has two HDMI ports. The first one has an audio jack and I run an audio cable from my Mac to that. It has the same connector on both ends. My cable box, which has digital audio with the HDMI connects to the second port which accepts audio from the HDMI cable.

DVI and HDMI by the way are the same. The connector type is all that determines if it's called DVI or HDMI.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Attached Files:

6. goMac macrumors 603

DVI does not include audio at all, it's just not part of the DVI spec. It's not an Apple thing.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, that's why I hedged my bets.

In any case, I do believe it's possible with DVI-D. This is from Wikipedia about DVI. Empashis, mine.

"To promote interoperability between DVI and HDMI devices, HDMI source components and displays support DVI signalling. A 1080p HDMI display can be driven by a single-link DVI-D source -since HDMI and DVI-D both define an overlapping minimum set of supported resolutions and frame buffer formats. So, DVI-D devices output HDMI signals, many including audio, (examples: ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series video cards),[7] and some multimedia displays input that HDMI signal, including audio, by using a DVI to HDMI adapter. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications."

8. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Nope, it's not part of the DVI standard, you'd need DVI-I or DVI-D and digital audio with an adapter to be able to output to HDMI with display and audio.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. I don't know much about it so I'm not going to defend the undefensible out of my ignorance.

Thanks for setting it straight.

10. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

At least I think so, I was researching this when I was looking for DVI to HDMI adapter for my PB and of everything I've read nothing said that audio would work.

Your not ignorant, your one of the more knowledgeable people on here. :)

11. Anonymous Freak, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

EDIT: SEE BOTTOM!

Here you go, simple answer:

No. (Edit: At least not cheaply.)

Long complex answer: (Edit: See bottom.)

If you feel like spending a lot of money on multiple adapters, sure.

The DVI port on a PowerBook G4 does not carry audio, therefore no DVI-to-HDMI adapter can add audio.

HDMI carries only digital audio over an electrical connection, not analog audio.

The PowerBook G4 is capable of outputting analog audio over an electrical connection (headphones) or digital audio over an optical (fibre-optic) connection (mini TOSlink connector, shared with the headphone jack.)

There are optical-to-electrical digital audio converters - they are not cheap.

There are also "HDMI audio-in" adapters that take the electrical-digital connection (S/PDIF) and add it to the video signal.

So, if you felt like getting: DVI-to-HDMI adapter, HDMI-audio-in adapter, mini-TOSlink-to-S/PDIF adapter, sure, you can do it.

Edit: Well, look at that - in looking for links to the three adapters, I found one that does it all! $45 from Amazon: Monoprice DVI & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter Since that uses the full-size TOSlink optical connector, and the PowerBook G4 uses mini TOSlink, you'll also need a TOSlink to mini TOSlink cable $50 plus shipping for both the adapter and the optical cable.