Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewMacConvertee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
K.C., Missouri
I've seen a few comments about the new displays, but no real direct comparisons b/w the brightness of the 15" vs. the 17". Has anyone actually seen the two side by side? If so, is the brightness of the 17" considerably better than that of the 15"? Also, has anyone had the opportunity to see the current 15" next to a pre-updated 15"? If so, is there an extreme difference?

The reason I ask is after the update on Wed. I decided to purchase a new 15" PB (my first mac!), but after reading through some of these threads it seems that the display on the 17" is quite a bit brighter and more impressive. While deciding what to buy I always thought the 17" would simply be too big, considering I will be taking this laptop with me nearly everyday. But now I'm thinking maybe the extra 1.3 pounds may be worth it.

Any thoughts/comments would be much appreciated as I'm VERY anxious the get my new PB ordered. :D Thanks! :)

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
i sold my 15" about 2 weeks ago and bought a newly updated 17" on wednesday. i say go for the 17"!

NewMacConvertee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
K.C., Missouri
tekmoe said:
i sold my 15" about 2 weeks ago and bought a newly updated 17" on wednesday. i say go for the 17"!
I realize it's only been a couple of days, but what are your thoughts on the portability of the 17" vs. the 15"?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
unfortunately, i am feverishly checking the apple order status page to see if my powerbook has even entered the shipping process. i did a BTO with the 7200rpm hard drive.

portability should not be an issue. it's slightly a pound more, and about 2 inches bigger all around. really not that bad. i should, however, mention that i have a 12" pb as well and i use it for dj gigs when i do a show. the big boy stays home.

NewMacConvertee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
K.C., Missouri
tekmoe said:
unfortunately, i am feverishly checking the apple order status page to see if my powerbook has even entered the shipping process. i did a BTO with the 7200rpm hard drive.

portability should not be an issue. it's slightly a pound more, and about 2 inches bigger all around. really not that bad. i should, however, mention that i have a 12" pb as well and i use it for dj gigs when i do a show. the big boy stays home.
Ahhh, I didn't realize you did a BTO. I plan on doing the same think for the 7200rpm. I'd love to hear what you think about your switch to the 17" once you finally receive it. Thanks!

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
Well, I had a 17inch before and found it just far too big.

Strange to say, but it also felt very vulnerable to damage.

I then settled on a 12inch which I have thoroughly enjoyed for a year now.

With the recent updates, I was tempted with the 17inch for about 20 seconds, then remembered how I felt before. I was 100% with my selection of a new 15inch with 7200rpm upgrade.

I read on my thread on the Apple.com forums of a user who has seen the displays on both and was impressed with both too. So no worries there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.