PB/iMac Combo or MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j26, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. j26 macrumors 65832


    Mar 30, 2005
    I'm currently in the market for a new computer and have it down to 2 options
    1. Keep my PB 1.33 and get a 20"iMac
    2. Sell the PB and get a MacBook along with a monitor and upgraded hd (popping the original in an enclosure)

    Either one will be maxed out with ram.

    I'm currently in college and travel weekly between home and college (not for the summer, thank God).

    Each option has it's own benefits and drawbacks. If I go with the MacBook I'll probably get it now, as I don't foresee any significant upgrades in the near future. If I go with the iMac I'll probably wait a while for Merom or Conroe (we remember your promise, iGary).
    The MacBook would be more portable, but the iMac more powerful.
    The MacBook option would be cheaper, but cost is not the main issue for me.
    The iMac option would look much neater in my room in Dublin.
    The iMac has dedicated video ram, the MacBook is integrated.

    What do I want it for?
    • College notes (mainly text/pdf)
    • Photoshop/Video
    • Internet/iTunes
    • Next to no gaming (unless someone has a ppc version of AOE2 Gold they would be willing to swap for a pc version)
    • Watching movies
    • Admiring its beauty

    How easy is it to keep 2 macs synced, especially if one is ppc and the other intel?
    What is you opinion? I've been thinking a lot about it lately, and my head hurts, so other perspectives would be useful. So, raw power (as I expect the iMac to be) combined with reasonable mobility or pure portability with good power?

    PS Keeping the PB on its own isn't really an option as there are several things I would need to do to bring it up to spec for what I want (Superdrive, iLife, iSight, Tiger), and I don't fancy throwing a lot of money at a computer that ultimately will become obsolete far faster than an Intel mac.
  2. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    Without reading the rest of your thread, I'd pick the PB/iMac combo.

Share This Page