PB, iPod, Updates


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
Wilkes-Barre PA
Hello everyone -
I've been reading very intensively over the past 3 months with interest of making my switch from PC to MAC. This is my first post so I'll try to explain my situation:

I've been a PC user for 8 years now. I've gone from Compaq to NEC to eMachine to Sony (VAIO) over the course of this time frame and I've been displeased with every machine. Coursing back from Windows 3.1, I just become fed up with the Bluscreen, viruses, unexpected errors, uncompatibility, and overall dull perfomance of each one. So - I decided to look into Mac. I fell in love with my friend's 12'' PB that he just recently bought for college for the Fall. I've decided to go with a 15'' PB with a stick of 1Gb RAM and the hard drive upgrade (80 to 100) and the Videocard upgrade as well (64 to 128). I've been waiting for quite a long time to make a move and decided to hold out until WWDC ended early this month. Now I'm unsure when to make my purcase. The Intel switch doesn't phase me much (from gathering info from previous posts - it seemed like an expected and very GOOD idea for Steve in the long run...along with making them a much more viable opponent) but I don't know if I should take my student discount + the $100 rebate and run with it or hold out for a possible Cram and Jam discount (if it even repeats like last year) OR updates on either the iPod or the PB (which probably wouldn't be major anyway). I'm looking into a 20Gb iPod or iPod photo if that helps any.

So I guess my question is : do I buy now? Wait a week? Wait a month?
If anyone had the same problem or uses a PB in college (Mechanical Engineering as a major) - Advice would be quite welcome.

Thanks for everyone's time. =)


macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
I bought a 15" powerbook combo drive with airport extreme a few days ago and it's really really fast, so i would buy now, i love my purchase and am very happy with it.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
As mentioned many times before, the PB's were recently updated. As was the iPod's. The most logical choice for the next updates would be the iBook's (well over due) and the Mac min (due only to be competitive).

In some ways Apple needs to decide whether it will be a leader or a follower. In particular in light of their move over the next two years to the Intel chips. With a product like the iPod (all variants); they need to lead the way at every turn. Example is the rumors of the 2gb iPod Shuffle with a display.

In the end there will always be better deals out there. The question is, will you gain some benefit or pleasure during the changes.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
I'm in a very similar situation, I'm looking at getting a 15" PB for college in the fall (I've been an mac user my whole life though.)

I'm actually have a tough time deciding if I wanna by now or wait it out another month or so. Because while some people will say the PB's just been updated, you're a fool to wait, it's actually been about 4 and a half months since it was updated. Not to mention the fact that if it gets intel at MWSF now would be the right time for a minor bump. So maybe I'm just trying to decide if I think it gets intel at MWSF. Any people's insights would help me. Maybe I'll just give up and go buy one on Monday.


macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2005
I bought a 12" PB on monday after WWDC...I figured that if they didn't update at WWDC they won't for a few weeks, and I wanted to take advantage of the $100 edu rebate which ends june 25. I needed it for a trip though, so you might be in a different situation. In any case I highly recommend the PB, even though there hasn't been a huge update or change for a long time (which doesn't have to be a bad thing). my 2 cents :rolleyes:


macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
The most recent Powerbooks are superb little machines! So if you need one, get one. I actually figure that this is a great time to buy because apple can't do anything too significant to them because they won't want to undercut the improvement that the intel chips are supposed to deliver. They will probably be updated before they switch to intel, but it will probably be a really slight one (backlit 12 inch anyone?).Also, the fifteen incher you descibe should be awesome. If you were going for an ibook on the other hand, things would be different! As for the ipods, i can see apple updating them in for the summer, and apple will most likely start another cram and jam, whether the thought that this may happen is worth passing up the $100 rebate is another question. And thus i suppose that you should ask yourself, do you feel lucky?