PB is the shape of Elbow Macaroni

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dswoodley, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002
    So last night i dropped my 15' AL powerbook. Slid right out of my hands (no body's fault but my mine). The optical drive end took the brunt of it and now when laying flat, the optical drive end sits about 1/2 inch off the table. The weird part? Everything still works including the optical drive and the keyboard (that's bent too)...

    not very unusable as a laptop now (doesn't even fit in it's case right).

    Just a warning to all, the metal is bendy, but the components are tough!

    Guess I am getting a new PB, though all I can afford is a 12in, unless I can find just the case and chasis for a 15" al PB.

    Ideas anyone?

  2. bug macrumors regular

    Feb 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC

    If you've written it off anyway - why not just try bending it back? May totally go horribly wrong, but it may fix your issue ;)
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    you could try looking at www.pbfixit.com, might find some parts there you could use to fix yours, not 100% sure though
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    yeah i just checked, they have the two pieces of the main case there, but together it looks like $500, so its up to you if its worth your time and effort to take it apart and put it back together or just buy a new machine
  5. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002
    Nice! they do sell the parts, but they are of stock on the lower casing. I'll see if I can backorder,

    thanks for the tip
  6. Logik macrumors 6502a

    Apr 24, 2004
    home insurance cover it? might be worth looking into? $500 for a new machine (or whatever the deductable is) vs. $1400 for a new machine... :-/
  7. wide macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2004
    First, I'd get a monkey wrench, make it tight around the really bent part of your computer, and try to bend it back in place. (I'm serious)

    If that doesn't help, I'd order the upper and lower case from www.pbfixit.com as someone said above.

    Does anyone know, if you buy an upper and lower powerbook case and bring it to an apple store, if a genius at the apple store will take the old powerbook apart and put it in the new casing?
  8. debroglie macrumors 6502a


    Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    BEFORE YOU TRY TO BEND ANYTHING call your home owners insurance. It may cover this type of thing.
  9. Dagless macrumors Core


    Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    that sites kinda interesting. it costs $139 for a replacement keyboard but only $99 for a new battery. somebodies making a nice profit
  10. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002
    This is a good idea too. i don't have home owner's but I think my renter's insurance does cover some kinds of accidents
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    your renters insurance should cover it, if not its up to you if you want to fix it or not, if you do go that route, i would talk to apple about having them fix it, although you buy the parts yourself from pbfixit, it would probably be cheaper that way, or you could just give apple a call and see how much they would charge to fix the whole thing first

    (i keep thinking of more stuff to add these days)
  12. wwooden macrumors 68000


    Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Why not just use your iBook for a while?? :)

    Can you post some pictures? I would be curious to see the bent computer.
  13. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002

    My renter's could cover it, but my deductible is $500

    I took my Powerbook to my local mac reseller and repairshop - $330 parts and labor was what I was quoted.

    I am using the ibook now, but it's actually my wife's!!

    I'll try and get a picture before I ship to my repairn shop.

    thanks all!
  14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Jan 6, 2004
    well then, either get the seller to repair it, at least then its an authorized repair, or see what your renters will give you for $500, if you get a totally new machine for the $500 deductible i would probably go that route
  15. eAspenwood macrumors member

    Feb 20, 2005
    I'd say get the insurer's to buy you a new one, and if you can keep the old one, then sell it as is. I'm sure some people would be willing to pay a decent amount for a functional pb that can be fully repaired between $300 - $500. Who knows, maybe you're accident could turn out to be free (minus the time involved) or better.

    I know (unfortunately from experience) when you total a car, the insurers allow you to keep the car for a certain fee. Perhaps the same applies here.

Share This Page