Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

district

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
I’ve noticed that some of the keys on my 15” powerbook (1.33) make a slight click or popping sound when I release them. It’s like they are a bit sticky (no I didn’t spill anything on my keyboard) and aren’t as consistent as the other keys. I had the keyboard replaced under warranty recently but the problem still persists which leads me to believe it’s a problem with the ‘underpad’ or whatever it’s called.

I phoned Apple again and they didn't really have any suggestions other than to replace the keyboard again. Personally, I don't think this will solve the problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It’s not a huge issue – the keys all work okay but I expect a laptop at this price range to at least have a decent keyboard. I’ve tested other PBs and they don’t seem to have this problem. Maybe I’m being too picky but it’s bugging me nevertheless. Any ideas?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
The powerbooks is know to ave the best keyboards you can get, if it doesn't get a new!
The keyboard was one of the reasons i bought the powerbook!
The al-book keyboard is the best keyboard since the old apple extended (from the mac II era..).

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
A friend of mine (now sitting beside me) has the same problem and says it's very annoying too. He has 15" PB, keys around J,K,L,M make a clicking sound. Apple's Turkish IMC suggested to change some of the keys or open the keyboard and take a look. We don't think they had this kind of problem before. We'll see if they will solve it or not... :confused:

Yotabyte

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
Perth, Australia.
Apple keyboard is just like any other laptop keyboard, the soft small buttons feel smooth and techy. Except, in ibooks and powerbooks, its the same keyboard lol... cracks me up sometimes how silly the 17" looks with that keyboard. I think you should take up their offer on the new keypad, but make sure its clear to them what the problem is and have them take a look at it and if they can't fix THAT problem demand a new powerbook!

district

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
thanks for the replies. the problem is worse on the right side of the keyboard (K, L, M) keys are the main offenders. same as your buddy Toughboy. that's interesting. so i may not be the only one.

i'll take it in for service yet again and see if they can correct it. what a drag.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I had a 'squeaky' keyboard too but after about a month of usage it disappeared. I just think some of them need to be broken in. Annoying I know but maybe give it some time before rushing to replace the keyboard.

district

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2004
i bought the pb brand new from the apple store and the keyboard was like that right out of the box. i thought it may 'loosen up' over time so i gave it three months, but it hasn't gone away. that's when i brought it in for service.

unfortunatly it looks like time will not solve this problem ;)

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Yotabyte said:
Apple keyboard is just like any other laptop keyboard, the soft small buttons feel smooth and techy. Except, in ibooks and powerbooks, its the same keyboard lol... cracks me up sometimes how silly the 17" looks with that keyboard. I think you should take up their offer on the new keypad, but make sure its clear to them what the problem is and have them take a look at it and if they can't fix THAT problem demand a new powerbook!

what's so funny about THAT keyboard??? :mad: GRRRR

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Yotabyte said:
and if they can't fix THAT problem demand a new powerbook!
Oh yeah, my USB keyboard stopped working, GIVE ME A NEW POWERMAC!! :rolleyes:

Oh wait, I don't have a USB keyboard on my PowerMac...

Anyways, my F keys clicks sometimes, but I think it's different from your problem. There might be a problem with the screws or screw bosses that hold down the keyboard, but the chance of this happening twice are pretty darn low. I think they might want to check the keyboard bay for debris (they probably did anyway) or maybe the entire top case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.