Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bolocheung

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I am considering the purchase of a used Pismo on eBay for use during my trip to China in October. Basically will be using it for iPhoto so I can download my digital photos for archiving and writing captions of the photos while the experience is fresh in my head. I figure it would make a good backup to my AlPB 15" (this is my baby and use as desktop replacement) which I don't want to carry around in China with the terrain, etc. What are your thoughts? I would like to spend around $450-$500 for the setup. Would it be better to get a different mac laptop for this function?

hello world

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
I did exactly this two years ago.

I didn't want to beat up my baby (then a 15" titanium), so I got a used Pismo from ebay for $400 to take travelling. I would have settled for a toliet-seat iBook or a Wallstreet PB - if you're downloading photos, you'll need USB (which the Wallstreet doesn't have). It served my purposes (email and photoshop).

Just make sure you buy it enough ahead of time. A used computer is bound to come with some sort of problem.

I'd say that between ebay and craigslist, these are in your price range (and suit your purposes):

Pismo as-is
Wallstreet with PCMCIA USB card
Original iBook
500 g3 iBook

I'd recommend the snow-colored 500 iBook. I had one for a short time. It's the most portable within your reach, and probably just as fast as the any of the others. I've seen it popping up real cheap used lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.