PB sound jack issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dorqiekat, Jun 10, 2007.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Lately, my powerbook has had sound problems. When left alone with no use of sound for a while, it decides that it just won't have sound. When you adjust the volume, you can't hear the pop-ing or any sound at all. And the only way to fix it is to stick the headphone plug into the headphone jack and out again, tricking the PB into thinking that it's without headphones now and it needs to bring out the sound.

It happens so often it's annoying, especially if I don't have headphones with me.

Anyone know what's going on with my PB's sound? :mad:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Next time it happens, take a screenshot of Audio MIDI Setup in the Utilities folder for us. Make sure the Audio Devices tab is selected, not the MIDI Devices tab. :)

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I haven't had this problem in a while hence, no picture... but today, my PB refuses to play any audio at all. I tried the whole headphone trick but now nothing. PB is mute with and without headphones.

Here is what the Audio setup is saying.

Attached Files:

4. fwhh macrumors regular

My PB12 has had this problem too. I think its a problem with the contacts inside of the headphone jack, which detects if the headphones are connected. Check at the audio control panel, if under "output" it says "headphones" when the sound is not working. If this is so, maybe a cleaning of the jack would help.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew