Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maclomaniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
NC
Hello - This actually happened to my boss, but we have the same computer. I haven't downloaded the security update because of his problem. After he downloaded the last security update released (12-2-04), he restarted as usual. His computer shut down, but never started back up. Now every time he presses the power button, you can hear the start-up chime, but it doesn't actually restart. He has tried holding down the power button for several seconds, as well as Control-Command-Power at the same time (as the Apple site directs you to). Has anyone else had this problem with the last security update? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Whoops sorry - He has a 15" powerbook G4... latest revision, with OS 10.3. All his RAM is Apple RAM and installed by Apple, so no sketchy 3rd party RAM issues... (though maybe Apple RAM issues?)

Applespider

macrumors G4
How long has has he given it between hearing the chime and assuming it's dead? Occasionally after installing things, mine takes longer than usual to boot up after the chime and I've had a few moments of wondering whether something's gone oops! If, of course, you've been waiting an hour between hitting the power button - sorry!

Maclomaniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
NC
Yes, I think he's waiting a fairly long time. I have had this happen to me before occasionally when I close my powerbook without shutting down for transport, and then it won't wake up from sleep. It can take several times of holding down the power button (both holding it down for awhile, and with a quick, hard push of the button) before it finally starts up (more slowly than usual too!) But it's hard to tell with him because he's away at a conference and calling me about it. Since he hears the chime, I'm inclined to think it will start up eventually and is just having a minor (though frustrating) power management issue...

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I've been having problems with my PB 17" 1.33 not waking up from sleep and geting tons of kernel panics after this update. I have never had a KP in the year I've owned my PB - now - every hour or so - looks like it might be time for a clean install

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.