PBG4 12" Battery only charges to ~80% then stops?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iamMacPerson, Apr 2, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

Jun 12, 2011
    So my PowerBook G4 is a little wonky when it comes to charging its battery. CoconutBattery reports that the remaining capacity of the battery is at about 82% and that 82% is only charging to around 78%. If this is correct, I'm actually only getting ~60% of my battery life.

Now, there is that "if" in my last sentence. The reason for that is CoconutBattery might be reporting wrong an OS X is reporting properly. For instance, OS X is actually noticing that of the original capacity, only 78% of it is charging and CoconutBattery is just getting the current charge info from OS X.

The other thing, OS X can be odd when it comes to charging. If I remove the plug and put it back in a few times, it will start charging again, but won't surpass 83% at all no matter what I try.

PRAM and SMC resets have already been performed. I know batteries will lose capacity over a period of time, but its showing that only part of the actual remaining capacity is actually charging.
  2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

Sep 16, 2007
    Northeastern Ohio
    Sometimes holding the PRAM reset for more than one restart will work or letting it completely die and leave it to fully discharge more for a few days until the pulsing light finally stops.