PBG4 12" in clamshell mode a decent print server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kylera, Jul 8, 2012.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Now that I have a new Air, the PowerBook is mostly gathering dust, and suddenly an often-mentioned idea popped up in my head: using it as a print server by connecting it to a printer, enabling InsomniaX and leaving it on 24/7 in clamshell mode.

Would that be okay for the Book? Would there be any issue of overheating, etc.?

2. kdogsup macrumors newbie

I wouldn't do it, chances are you'll kill the thing as generally laptops (any type, including apple) are not designed to be powered on 24/7.

Sell it on ebay or CL to someone who'll get use out of it as a laptop and take that money to buy an actual print-server, or even an airport express which has USB for print server.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Laptops are designed to be on 24/7. I've had a 550Mhz Ti Powerbook G4 running non-stop for 6 years now. Not one problem. I've setup cheap Dell and HP laptops to be POS terminals. They work very well, pending you don't care about the battery's health.

4. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

My battery is pretty shot as is anyway.

5. 01mggt macrumors 6502

FWIW, I tried using a g3 ibook with 10.4 as a print server. But newer versions of os x failed to actually work correctly with the shared printer. But from my understanding, sharing with version 10.5 works great with both newer and older versions accessing the printer.

6. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I don't have any laptops running 24/7 but what I do have is a couple of printers that I connected to a hub, and this hub to a time capsule. All printers showed under OSX, but it was a PITA to get them to print. So I started using one of the iMacs as a print server and everything works perfectly now.

So, in my experience, airport devices suck as print servers.