PBG4 Memory Slot Issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taz4240, Oct 17, 2009.

1. taz4240 macrumors newbie

So I read online that my PowerBook G4 that I've had since about 2004 may have the defective memory slot that caused Apple to introduce the "PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) Memory Slot Repair Extension Program" in 2008.

However, my serial number isn't within the program's parameters, and as I understand it, the program ended in 2008. It says it applies to serial numbers W8503xxxxxx through W8518xxxxxx; mine begins with W84.

Basically, I have a couple of questions before I a) shell out money for diagnostics and possible repairs or b) buy a new laptop:

1) Is this a memory slot problem?

My 15" PowerBook G4 (Model A1045; 1 GHz; 256 MB; 60G; Combo; BT) had been getting the beach ball for awhile, and was very slow operating and online. My sound card had been on the fritz -- the internal speakers would sometimes not work, but the headphone jack would still work.

So yesterday, the mouse froze while in Firefox, and after waiting awhile, I forced it to shut down. When it booted up again, I got a blank screen and three short beeps, followed by the LED light blinking periodically. All these symptoms seem to point to what Apple said was the memory slot problem (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2164#faq3)

2) If this is a memory slot problem, what might the repairs involve and are there price estimates available?

3) Is it better to just get another laptop? (I'm thankful I've had it for this long without any major problems, it's had a good life).

4) If I do get another laptop, am I able to retrieve my information from my old laptop and transfer it to the new one? Is this an expensive procedure? Or is this laptop entirely kaput and my files forever trapped on there?

5) What the recommendations out there (if I buy a new one instead doing repairs to the G4) for a laptop that will be used as my only computer (i.e., what's a good workhorse Mac)?

Thanks so much, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If it's a memory slot problem, just remove old HDD and put it in a cheap ATA-USB enclosure from Ebay and get the data from it via Migration Assistant on new computer or drag over.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As NC MacGuy said, just get a new computer, and get an external enclosure for your laptops HDD and copy the data over to the new computer :)