PBG412" - display resolution for hooking up to an HDTV?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theboyk, Dec 14, 2008.

1. theboyk macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've been using a 12" PBG4 as a basic media center for watching movies via mini-DVI to composite out, hooked up to an old 4:3 TV. Recently I've purchased an HDTV and am still using the 12" PBG4 as a media center. Obviously, the quality of the video isn't HD (as I'm going out via composite), but honestly, it's good enough (for me anyway).

But, my one problem is, the 12" PBG4 doesn't allow me to output the video (either when mirroring the displays or when mirroring is off) at an aspect ratio other than 4:3. Thus, on the HDTV, everything is stretched. To compensate, I have manually distort the aspect ratio of the video I'm watching (through the video software) to make it look the way it's supposed to. This works great for video, but when I do anything else on the HDTV, it's stretched.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows how I'd go about setting an external display to an aspect ration other than 4:3? In the display preferences, all available options are 4:3?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kristin.

2. LeoFio macrumors regular

I have a 12" powerbook hooked up to a widescreen monitor. However, I am not getting any picture distortion on either screen (both screens set to display at their intended resolution automatically).

You should be able to shuffle through the output resolutions that are widescreen in system preferences>>displays, and find one that works by trial and error

Depending on your TV resolution, if it is 1080p, there should be a resolution for 1920x1080. If it is 720p, choose 1280x720. As long as you can divide the two numbers (1280/720 for example) and get 1.78, it is a widescreen resolution. And make sure mirroring is off, otherwise you WILL get distortion!

Hope that helps and keep us posted :)

3. theboyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, like I said in my message, in sysprefs:displays, for the external monitor (which registers as NTSC/PAL), I get no options for 16:9, only 4:3 resolutions, thus, there's nothing widescreen I can select.

k.

4. theboyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think maybe, as I'm connecting via the mini-DVI-to-composite (analog), the PB isn't able to recognize the source as widescreen? I'll try connecting via mini-DVI-to-VGA and see if that helps?
    k.

5. wizz0bang macrumors member

I have a similar question. I would like to buy the BenQ E2200HD monitor... but am not sure if I can get the native 1920x1080 output to work well over DVI from the 12" PowerBook. Can anyone confirm that this will work?

6. theboyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I hooked up the PBG4 12" last night to the HDTV (37" full 1080 res), this time using the miniDVI-to-VGA (there's a VGA port on the back of the TV) and worked like a charm. The PB recognized the TV (right down to the model) and had no problem getting 1080 resolution. I'm sure this would work the same via a miniDVI-to-HDMI as well.

So, my original problem was a result of using the analog adapter. Soon as I used the digital adapter, issue was solved (though, sometimes when I view 4:3 video on the 16:9 screen, instead of centering between black bars, the video is flush right with one big black bar on the left...but, quitting the program and restarting usually fixes this).

k.