PBX Hardware/Software and Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeekinBlooz, Dec 23, 2009.

1. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

Based on my research and my review of MacRumors forum posts, I know that Asterisk is an open source options for PBX systems on a Mac Server. But, does anyone know of any company providing a commercially supported Mac Server-based PBX solutions? Even if it is Asterisk-based, having a commercially supported system is important to many businesses. At a previous employer, I used the PC-based Televantage software (6 years go) and I found it to be a great product. But, there is no Mac Server or Mac Client support. Preferably, such a solution would have a Mac Client GUI for voicemail inbox, etc. Any other ideas?

2. DeekinBlooz thread starter macrumors member

For several days, I've been researching a Mac-based PBX counterpart to Televantage but I haven't found anything that really provides a commercially-supported solution. Asterisk is an open source solution and has commercial support on the Mac, but it does not appear to integrate into Address Book, iCal, or Mail. The Sunrise Telecom website describes Asterisk as a "faceless Unix server application which runs as a background process (daemon)." Sunrise and others, notably Digium (which created and owns Asterisk), have added GUIs for installation, administration, and client operation, but I don't see the integration I am looking for. Sunrise appears to be working on a next version called Afelio, but it's not here yet. Maybe Skype will get me through until a real, integrated Mac-solution becomes available. At least I can dial from my Address Book in Skype (assuming I set Address Book to 32-bit execution).

Maybe there is just not enough interest in using a Mac Mini as a PBX solution. There are plenty of Windows server/client solutions, but I want to avoid that.

3. UKenGB macrumors newbie

Resurrecting an elderly thread, but I am currently desperate to find out more about Afelio. Sunrisetel seem to have vanished off the face of the earth and messages to the only email address they publish just get returned.

I am also very keen to obtain an IP PBX solution to run on the Mac Mini - I cannot think of any better solution for what I need and Afelio looks like it would have been perfect. But what's happened, anyone know?

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

No idea about the Afelio product you mention, but you might be interested in the recently-released Snom One software PBX which has a Mac version, they offer paid and free versions.
    I've not tried it, but if you do give it a go, let me know if it's any good.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

The TS wasn't talking about pbx software but about the pbx client software. Your question seems to be quite different. You can run something like Linux or FreeBSD on the mini instead of OSX. Asterisk is available for all those platforms so that shouldn't be a problem. However, if you want to use something like isdn for outgoing calls (as a fallback for example) it's a better idea to use something that has been designed for things like this. The mini isn't.

6. UKenGB macrumors newbie

The Snom One is news to me and very interesting it looks too. So I am going to try it.

Thanks for the heads up.

7. UKenGB macrumors newbie

Well that's not entirely true is it - the OP was asking about a Mac based PBX and even mentioned Afelio by name, so my question about Afelio is far from being something "quite different".

If someone is asking about Mac based software, I think you can assume they are talking OSX and not having to run a different OS on their Mac hardware. Otherwise you might as well suggest they run Windows.

In any case, Asterisk is coming under increasing criticism for being basically a bit crap and other solutions are being developed to overcome it's basic design deficiencies. So it would be nice to find one that runs on OSX.

Finally, while the Mini may not be the optimum solution as a PBX from an empirical point of view, other considerations make it eminently suitable and as far as I am concerned (and it would appear the OP), that is the solution I am looking for. Finding a PBX to run on Linux/Windows etc is easy.

8. UKenGB macrumors newbie

Downloaded and installed snomONE on the Mini and sadly it doesn't even run. Maybe it just needs some tweaking, but the install is supposed to leave it running, but it doesn't.

I'll keep trying...