PC Alternative to low end 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chameleon81, Jun 17, 2010.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Is there any alternative to low end 15" MBP which can offer same amount of battery life ?

I can find cheaper laptops with higher configurations but nearly all of them have 2,5-4 hours battery life.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

Dell i7 with the optional battery. ( not the i7 quad core version, but the dual core version since it has more battery life )
    Sony Z with the optional battery.

The thing wiht MBP is that they got good power savings from OS X. But once you do intensive stuff, the battery life of a MBP isn't special anymore.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd be tempted to say the ENVY 14 or even a dv6t.

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

Personally, I'd avoid HP. Maybe the ENVY line is good. But personally I'd go ASUS if I was to buy a non-Apple laptop.

5. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for suggestions. Sony Z and Envy are expensive as well.

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

There is no real alternative. The windows operating system craps itself and the hardware. Sure, you might be saving money now, but in 4 years you'd need a new pc whereas your mac will still be wonderful. There's more to computers than simple specs.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd tell that to the people that buy a new Mac every time there's an update.

8. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I would too. Have an iMac going on 5 years, want my new mbp to last that long or more, my parents have an '89 se/30 that loads programs like it has an ssd :D it's easier to write papers on it than a new mac. I think it's rediculous when you NEED the latest and greatest mac... to me the whole point of macs is so that they will be fast enough for years.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have to think about the other side. Apple has gotten so stagnant that there is no reason to buy a new Mac.

2009 - 2011 is a very slow time period for hardware in general but it's glacial at Apple.

10. MacSignal macrumors regular

My vote would go to this Asus, but it has a 13 inch display. If the 15 inch display is a must, I would lean towards a Sony (first) or a Dell Studio with the largest optional battery available. MBP battery life and energy consumption in general seems to be a competency where Apple has an advantage. I like that Apple does well with this.

11. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Any laptop with a decent battery will last the same amount of time as the 15" MBP. The advertised Macbook battery life is achieved under such specific conditions that you will likely never get that amount of time anyway. I can force 10 hours out of my 13" MBP, but realistically I'm looking at 4-5 hours tops with normal usage. Hell, Skype drains the battery in under 3 hours and any sort of 3d gaming takes it down to about 2-2.5