PC ATA/133 cards in a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DeathByGuitar, Oct 8, 2007.

1. DeathByGuitar macrumors newbie

Is this possible? I know OS X has drivers built in for certain perhipials, but i thought I'd ask about this before buying anything. Mac specific cards cost like 4 times as much and I can't find them anywhere. Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. DeathByGuitar thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Its why I have stayed with my built in 100. Would look at SATA if I were you, faster and would seem cheaper.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll keep looking. There are a few that a made by lesser known manufacturers and will work on PC/Mac.

It appears to be really hard to find one though. The majority of them are SATA controllers.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE.html#controllers

Might be some others, I remember when the 127GB HD limits was being kicked around -- some people were using the cards from the shelf at CompUSA.

Don't remember the brand and they aren't likely to have them anymore. Likely they were going by chipset supported by an available driver.

NOTE: Probably cannot find them since they are legacy products from awhile ago. Might have to go used, or see if people are having luck with a current PC card.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

More then likely some Belkin cards.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Sonnet, SIIG and Acard all make Mac-compatible ATA cards, from ATA/33 thru 66/100/133 and now SATA as well.

Probably will be very difficult to find anything other than (new) 133's at this point in time, maybe some really old stock of 100's here & there.

Check OWC first (www.macsales.com), then SmallDog, MacMall, TigerDirect, Newegg or any of your other favorite online stores.

then again, there is always ebay & craigslist, & many other BB's that have buy/sell forums too :)

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Or just get a couple IDE -> Firewire external casings to use for your old drives, and add new internal drives as SATA as you're able.

10. Verona macrumors newbie

Very nice forum,
    I'm an italian reader and your english is simple and easily understanded from me :)

See you later,
    Michele