PC ATX Mid Tower into an external drive chassis

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac4Brains, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Mac4Brains macrumors member

Mac4Brains

I have an old PC Mini-tower that has a great case that offers four 5.25 bays and six 3.5 bays, that are incredibly easy to access. What I want to find out is if there is a way that I can turn a PC into a big honking external drives case, to be rid of the ever-growing external drive collection on my desk? Slapping this onto one device would be momentously handy. Including having access to an internal DVD drive that would be much cheaper and easier then external ones.

Does anyone have an idea on how to turn a PC ATX Mid Tower into a multi-bay external drive chassis?

I am guessing that I can leave the power supply in it to run the drives, no biggie. I would expect I would need to pull out the motherboard but I would need a way to install or make or set-up a drive controller that can handle that many SATA drives in a way that a Mac would be able to see and use them (not as a Raid), with a single Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 connector. Perhaps I would need to stick in a USB hub, I don’t know?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

2. Mac4Brains thread starter macrumors member

Mac4Brains