PC buying help?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick354, Feb 18, 2009.

1. nick354 macrumors member

2. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

I think the video card is likely not powerful enough, although I do not know very much about how left 4 dead would strain the card.
    here is a review of the card which shows that it can play some games, although it does not mention left 4 dead:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4145

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

For future reference.... this is a board for Apple Hardware so I'm not sure why you wouldn't go to a Windows specific site.... but at any rate:

No, this laptop will not play L4D well at all. It'll probably run like... molasses.. or something else that's slow and gooey.

The problem is what the poster above mentioned. The video card (a Geforce 7150M) is a integrated graphics card. This means that it steals ram in order to handle video, instead of having a dedicate chip designed specifically for video related tasks.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to shell out a few more hundred dollars in order to get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. It'll probably cost at least $700 to get in the dedicated graphics range.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nick354, there isn't a single Dell or Gateway PC laptop that you've found that has a dedicated graphics card for $700? I'd look at places like Circuit City, or big chain stores. They're more likely to have a sale if business isn't doing well.