PC controllers

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by cowcaster88, Oct 1, 2012.

1. cowcaster88 macrumors member

Just now getting back into the PC gaming scene, does anyone have suggestions as to good controllers for fighting games (e.g. Street Fighter 4)? Looking for USB.

2. Northwestern macrumors regular

I am using a black Xbox360 wireless controller. I can highly recommend this controller. It's the best controller I ever used, but I never tried it in Mac OS X, only Windows 7.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

I will second the use of the Xbox 360 controllers, I have a white wired one and it is fantastic.

4. cowcaster88 thread starter macrumors member

Is a XBOX 360 controller set up pretty easy on Vista?

5. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Yes, all you do is plug it in to the USB port and that is it. It will install the drivers when you plug it in and that's it ready to use.

6. -SD- macrumors 6502

The 360 controller is good for most types of gaming, but certainly not fighting as the D-pad is terrible.

If you're really quite into your fighting/arcade games I'd get a decent USB arcade stick. Something like a Quanba, or even the official Hori EX2 stick as it's cheap, just to get you going.

:apple:

7. cowcaster88 thread starter macrumors member

What do you believe has the best D-pad? On top of playing fighting games I'll be doing alot of emulation as well.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I find the PS3 controller pretty good for all sorts of console gaming.
    The D-pad is way better than the xbox and the analog is just as good.

9. -SD- macrumors 6502

To be fair, if you're used to the PlayStation controller after three generations, it's probably not a bad idea. I still can't stand the thing....

Personally I'd go for a USB Sega Saturn controller. Unfortunately all the ones on eBay are dodgy HK copies, the quality of the plastic used is terrible. However, it is possible to swap the PCB into an official Saturn pad shell, and you'll be good to go.

:apple:

10. cowcaster88 thread starter macrumors member

I like the PS idea and I'm sure I can find some cheap PS1 controllers.

11. laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

I've always found the Xbox 360 controller's analog sticks to be more comfortably placed than the Playstation controller.