PC down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snook911, Sep 9, 2008.

1. snook911 macrumors 6502a

My pc crashed today so I will be making the switch to mac. The only part that sucks is all my iTunes stuff I use to sync my iPhone is lost I guess. Anyone have any idea if I can salvage that stuff off the pc hard drive once I get my new iMac. Hate to lose all my music and movies. Thanks.

2. icewing macrumors 6502

Was this stuff you bought via Itunes, or from your own personal CDs that you imported?

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

is the hard drive still working? if so, yank it out of the PC, buy a HDD to USB adaptor and plug it in to your new Mac. All your relevant files should be easy to find.

4. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure if the hard drives working or not. Giving me some windows error saying a critical windows file is corrupt. I will try your advice though once I get my iMac. Thanks.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why dont you safe boot and fix the file witht he windows install disk?

does not sound like your computer is dead, just a software issue

6. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya I guess the stuff I bought from iTunes I can re download free right? But most of the stuff was downloaded from various sites. If the hard drives fried I think I'm screwed.

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

or bring the PC into the Apple store and they will automajicaly move your data. Thats what the ad says:D

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont believe you can redownload stuff for free

if the hd is fried, you are indeed screwed unless you want to pay alot of money for recovery

like i said, i dont believe your computer is dead from what you tell me, but rather a sofwatre issue. i had the same thing happen to me when i had xp on my macbook. very easy to recover from.

just trying to save you money, unless you are set to get an imac, then go for it lol

9. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

don't have the windows install disk. I bought the computer new from dell about 4 years ago and can't remember if it came with the disk or not. Either way I don't have it. Besides it won't even get to the screen that gives you choice to safe boot. Any ideas how I can try to safe boot.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i believe you need to boot up from the disk itself to fix it unfortunately

in any case, 4 years is a long time for a computer so you may just want a new computer anyways if you can afford it

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Give Dell a call. :)
    I've had to do this before, when fixing someone elses mess. :eek:
    They've sent the disks, no problem. ;) :D

12. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well can't really afford it but need a computer and have wanted a mac for along time so this is a good excuse to get one. :D

13. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's a good idea. Thanks. (kind of hoping it's fried though so I can get the new iMac. )

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

I didn't have to pay for the disks, so there isn't anything to lose. :eek:
    That way, you can try to get the current unit fixed. Then you can backup all those iTunes, and don't have to buy them again. :p

And you can still get a new computer. If it's with the significant other, just make it clear the old one has had its day, and needs to be retired. :D

15. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

called dell today. They said since it's out of warrenty they can't send me the disks. However for $49 they will offer phone support were they said they would fix the computer in 30 days or I get my money back. Seems like a good deal. Either way I'm getting my iMac. :D

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's just messed up. :eek:
    When I did this, the computer in question was also out of warranty. It was software, not hardware, and sent the disks. No $49USD crap involved. :confused:

Though not a bad idea, you shouldn't have to pay that just to get a reinstall of the OS. Not to mention, that if they do it, you would likely lose any and all data on the drive. :eek:

Try again, maybe?
    Another CS rep may give better results. ;)

Good Luck. :)

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm willing to bet this is true. It sounds like some kind of Windows file is corupt, but the hard drive is likely fine. All you need to do is get at the files one time and copy them to the iMac. Doesn't matter that Windows won't load.

18. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone. I called dell tonight and for $49 they got it working. After some doing we finally got it to boot into safe mode. Then when pressing control and F8 at the same time while booting goes into dell restore. We were able to restore the computer without any disks. Oh well alls well that ends well.

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least you can back-up everything you want now. ;)
    And start shopping for its replacement. :D

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Still going to get a Mac? Know the feeling (had ordinal errors and had to start from scratch after making a slipstreamed CD...)

21. snook911 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya still going to get a mac. But a least with a computer working I don't have to be in such a rush. Had to do a full restore so it's like having a brand new computer now. (sort of) I was already able to get all my music and videos off my phone and back into iTunes. So it's back to a pc for now (sigh) but I'll get that mac soon enough.