Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Hi Everyone:
I am using a MacBook Pro Retina with VMware Fusion 6. As far as I can tell, my computer's "split personality" functions correctly.

My problem/question: I am trying to use 2 different PC based Embroidery packages. The commands they use are the standard PC commands, and I can't figure out which Mac shortcuts correspond to the PC shorts. Does that make sense? The programs work fine, but having to go back and forth to the drop-down lists is time consuming and a royal PAIN!!

So, thanks in advance for your words of wisdom.

And for those interested: I am using:
Software: Floriani Embroidery Suite Pro; and, Embird (Basic, Studio, and Sfumato.)
Machines: Viking Designer 1; and Viking Designer Diamond

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
VMware Fusion does not transform your Windows applications into Mac applications. Your Windows applications are running in the Windows OS in a virtual environment rather than on hardware dedicated to Windows. Therefore, you can expect your keyboard equivalents to be the same in VMware Fusion as they are on a dedicated Windows computer.

The major UI difference between the virtual environment and dedicated hardware is that the keyboard map may have small differences. The differences are addressed on this Microsoft support webpage.

flashmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
VMware--embroidery

Thank you, Misterme, for your response.

Yes, I understand the purpose of the VMware (hence my term "split personality.")

My issue is not that the software is not working, but the keystrokes don't correspond the way they do on a PC. In other words, I should be able to hold a key and click-click-click away to change the particular stitches. However, I'm having to go back to a drop-down list for each click. Does that make more sense?

You offered me a link which I hope will help. I've looked all over for Mac-to-PC command equivalents, but the commands still don't work as they did when I used the software on a PC that I used years ago. I'm off to check your link. Hopefully I can find the info I need...or a direction to take from there.

Thanks ever so much!!

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
My problem/question: I am trying to use 2 different PC based Embroidery packages. The commands they use are the standard PC commands, and I can't figure out which Mac shortcuts correspond to the PC shorts. Does that make sense? The programs work fine, but having to go back and forth to the drop-down lists is time consuming and a royal PAIN!!

IIRC Parallels does this and VMWare doesn't. IE, you can use mac print and open commands and they will be automatically converted to the PC equivelants.

flashmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Thank you Bit Density.

I'll tell ya.... I'm spending so much time trying to alter just a couple commands on designs that I'm NOT SEWING!!!!!

I don't understand your message: "IE, you can use mac print and open commands and they will be automatically converted to the PC equivelants." Can you expound on this please?

FM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.