Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jd2683

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, so I'm hoping someone has some advice. Basically my PC broke (broken screen on a laptop) so I replaced it with a MacBook Pro running Lion's latest iteration. The specs are as follows:
4 gb ram, 2.7 GHz Intel i7, 500 gb HD. I removed the hard drive from my old PC and put it in an enclosure to create an external HD. There is nothing wrong with the external HD. The mac recognizes it when I plug it in. The external has Windows 7 installed on it. However, all of my personal files are encrypted and thus the Mac can't access them. I'm wondering if there is a way to mount the existing instillation of Windows 7 on the external in a virtual machine such as bootcamp or parallels? Thanks for your advice.

Jeremy

jd2683

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
I do have a windows license and valid product key. the issue is I can't do an install from an emulator as I don't have windows disks. I'm not worried about running windows based apps, but the files I have that I need from the windows hard drive are encrypted, and thus I must be able to log into that instillation of windows to access them. I know with Linx Wine you can run a VM from an existing windows instillation on an external hard drive. Is there any such way to do so on Mac?

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've had the best experience (compatibility, speed) with VMWare fusion. I highly recommend it! It has a great wizard for installing just about any OS. I have DOS and Windows 3.1 for my classic childhood games.

jd2683

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
cool. do you have to do a clean install using a VM ware created partition? Or can I mount an existing windows instillation?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
How were the file encrypted?
Was it using Windows built in encryption or some other application?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.