PC external hard drive to Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Elementkng20, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Elementkng20 macrumors member

I don't know if this was covered or not, but I couldn't find anything on it. I have an external hard drive that is formatted to my PC. I want to use it for my Mac but I can't edit, delete, copy files because it's formatted to my PC. Now, is there a way to format it to Mac without taking everything off and putting it back on?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it is NTFS the Mac should read it, but not be able to write to it
    If you truly want cross platform compatibility you will need FAT32

You may be able to use a 3rd party app to read/write, but your best bet is a reformat

MR Guide: File Systems

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Download and install MacFUSE. This will allow you to read and write to the drive.

4. danmc00 macrumors regular

I am having the same problem with my new 27" iMac. This is my first mac and I can't write to my external hard drive.
    I have seen the Fuse that let's me do this, but my question is, do I need to empty the external hard drive first or is it something that I can just download and start using?

5. cman-uk macrumors regular

Does anyone even use FAT32 any more???

Good question, I can't help but would love to know the answer.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

You don't need to wipe the drive; just download the macfuse or ntfs-3g and you will be fine.

7. cman-uk macrumors regular

I thought* you could drag and drop files from OSX into a Parallels session running Windows (NTFS) ?

Surely this concept applies to external hard drives, no?

* or am I misinformed?

8. danmc00 macrumors regular

I downloaded MacFUSE and tried to drag and drop a file from my desktop to my external hard drive and it still wouldn't let me. What am I doing wrong?

9. danmc00 macrumors regular

Would it be easier to just reformat the external drive?

10. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

This is how I get around it. I have an NTFS drive and Windows 7 running in Parallels. When I connect the drive, Parallels asks what system I want to access it from. I say my Virtual machine and poof... I can drag and drop file to it without a problem.

FAT32 is still around because of its cross platform functionality. For example, I rip DVDs to a FAT32 external for viewing on my PS3. Plus I can then share it with anyone regardless of what kind of system they have.

11. danmc00 macrumors regular

I have tried it again today with no luck. MacFUSE 2.0 is open and running and I can't drag and drop any files to my external. Any other ideas?

12. lumberjack macrumors member

13. danmc00 macrumors regular

So you are saying if I install MacDrive on my Mac, then I will be able to write to the external hard drive? I do not have a PC anymore, so it totally reformatting the hard drive is easiest, then I can do that.

14. qblake macrumors newbie

You need Macfuse AND ntfs-3g, then it will work. I have a g5 and both installed, works great : 1TB Seagate Freeagent Desk, Partition 1 Mac OS Journaled 160GB (Time Machine), Partition 2 , 940 GB NTFS. perfect

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

oops...forgot to mention ntfs-3g...

16. danmc00 macrumors regular

Ok, i got ntfs-3g installed and now when I turn the drive on, it comes up with a message that says "NTFS-3g: Volume not cleanly unmounted" It says I can either force or abort. If I force, will i lose the data on the drive? I know i ejected it on my PC before I turned it off. It tells me that it is recommended to attach the drive to a Windows computer and unmount it properly. My problem is that I sold my PC and no longer have access to a Window based PC at the moment.

17. danmc00 macrumors regular

I was able to take the external HD to work and hook it up to my PC. I have the Fantom Drive 1TB. There isn't any place you can eject it like a normal USB drive. What should I do now?

18. danmc00 macrumors regular

I was able to get it to work. Thanks for all the help!

19. cman-uk macrumors regular

Great! ...So what did you do?

There are many in the same position you were in!
    Detailed steps on whats required and what to do would be great...

20. cman-uk macrumors regular

21. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Using this used to break Winclone which no longer recognised the bootcamp NTFS partition as a true NTFS drive.

Removed it and haven't looked back. I use VMware Fusion if I want to work with NTFS volumes on external drives.

Cheers,

22. cman-uk macrumors regular

May I have some advice please?

I have been using my 320gb iomega external hard drive (pretty sure its NTFS) to back up my Windows data from my home machine AND my work laptop. So its a back up for two different machines.

Now I've just bought an iMac :cool:. - to replace my home Windows PC. :apple: :apple:

What is the best way use my 320gb drive to still ensure:

- I can still use it to back up my data from my work laptop
    - I can use it for backing up my iMac machine (does TimeMachine come into the picture here?)
    - I can carry the external drive around to use as portable storage, and with the majority of friends being Windows users, I need Windows to be able to read/write to it.

With it currently being NTFS I know its not good enough for TimeMachine to work with it.

Oh, a point to note, all music and documents from my previous Windows machine is now copied over to my iMac.

Ideally I'd just like for my OSX iMac and my Windows laptop to both be able to read and write to the drive.

Any suggestions please? Just want to make sure I get this right...

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The info provided earlier in the thread provide the info you are looking for. There are caveats but these solutions work.

Cheers,

24. sebab22 macrumors newbie

OK. I'll finish the story for him:)
    Had this same issue...same steps I did...got this same message about "disc wasn't removed properly". I chose "abort", move the disk to PC, "Safely Removed Hardware", plugged back to iMac AND it works! All data is intact and accessible!

good luck.