pc files to imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by unclebobo2000, Jan 10, 2010.

1. unclebobo2000 macrumors newbie

i need to figure out a way to transfer files from my old pc ( with a 1.1usb port) to my new imac... external drive i bought( to backup all my pc files) does not show up on desktop when i plug it in my pc. any recomendations on a drive that will be compatible with both pc and mac that will also work with my old usb? the external drive is formated for windows but it doesn't show up on pc desktop when plugged in. Could my usb port be too slow? thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

What file format is the external drive? It may be that OSX is not recognising the Microsoft file format (this can be changed). You shouldn't need to buy another external hard drive!

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The drive is most probably formatted with HFS+, the Mac OS X file system, which can't be read or written to by Windows, unless you install a third party software on Windows like MacDrive.

If the drive is still unused (no data on it) you could format it with the FAT32 file system, or if your PC has an ethernet port, use that.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...t&aq=0&oq=transfer+from+pc+to+mac+&aqi=g2g-m1