PC Files to Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aham23, Nov 13, 2013.

1. aham23 macrumors regular

new to iMac and in the process of transfering files from Vista PC to iMac. i am using a 4th gen TC (refurb from Apple) and have everything on the same network.

it was pretty easy to transfer my iTunes library from PC to iMac over the network. instead of sending 1000s of pictures to the iMac i was wondering if i can just copy that folder and all the pics right to the TC? leave them their for when we need them, which could be never, but that's not my call. :)

can i move PC files to a TC or do i need a different external hard drive off the TC via USB. much thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can store your files on both the TC internal and external drives.
    If you plan to use TC for TimeMachine backups as well, it will be wise to leave it's internal drive for TM backups only and store your PC files on USB drive connected to TC.

3. aham23 thread starter macrumors regular

cool. any recommendations on a USB external drive for this purpose. cant imagine i need more than 1 or 2 TB for it.

4. aham23 thread starter macrumors regular

what i would like to do is add this, Seagate Backup Plus 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (STCA3000101), to my mix. back up my current older PC to it then access the files as needed from the iMac. confused on where it would fit in my network. connect it via USB to the TC or direct to the PC, back up, then direct to USB 3 on iMac?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do either and it will work. Although moving large files with it connected to the USB port on the TC is going to be somewhat slow. I would directly attach via USB the first go round to get the bulk of what you want moved, then move it to the TC USB after if you just want to files available.