PC for MAC Part Exchange dealers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by albiond, May 15, 2008.

1. albiond macrumors newbie

Hello,

I hope someone will be able to help. After a good couple of years fighting with my PC running music programmes (pro tools) i have decided its time to jump aboard the good ship MAC for some RELIABLE and powerful processing.

In order to get my new mac (im considering either a G4/5 dependent on price) i need to sell my PC. Now despite being in mint condition and only 2 years old im struggling to sell it- even though im asking a VERY fair price. I guess in this internet age 'knocked off' (stolen) goods seem to be undercutting me much cheaper on sites such as ebay/gumtree etc. So my question is does anybody know of a site that will part exchange my (very good) pc for a MAC? Ive googled etc but to know avail.

Again, anyone that could help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Happy MACing

:)

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What's the spec of your PC?

(It's Mac, no MAC)

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Second-hand Windows PCs are worth damn all these days, unfortunately, and a trader is likely to give you even less than you'd get on eBay.... :(

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Post your specs; (unless its a OEM Model [ie; Dell, HP, etc])

CPU:
    Video Card:
    Memory: (size, how many, type [ie; pc3200 etc])
    Motherboard:
    Hard Drive(s)
    Powersupply:

=

Other apps youre selling with it:

if its a machine you built yourself, you can scrap the parts on places like OCForums.com, theres alot of helpful friendly people that that can give you a good bang for your buck and/or find somewhere to sell it or give a good estimate.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If there are no takers, either that you are not listing enough details, or you are asking for higher than market price.

PCs do not retain their values very well.

You might want to look at your local craigslist.org to see what the local prices are (keep in mind no shipping, and it's cash exchange for your item only on craigslist).

6. albiond thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses. Its made by Mesh Computers who are award winning in the PC field. I bought this PC for close £900 and im asking for just half that £450 which i think is reasonable- it astill has a year to run on warranty too:

Elite² D805
    Intel® Pentium® D 930 Dual Core (3.0GHz,2MB Cache,800MHz)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
    Mini-Tower Micro ATX Case +250W PSU - BlackASUS P5RD2-VM - ATI Xpress 200 PCI Express,
    DDR2 Pentium 4/D/EE Mainboard - Micro ATX2048MB DDR2 Memory - 533MHz (2x1024)
    250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB BufferSONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW128MB ATI Radeon X300 Graphics(onboard-SMA)19" AMW M196A Professional TFT LCD Monitor with DVI & 16ms response time5.1 High Definition 6 Channel Audio Codec (on-board)
    Logitech Desktop Keyboard & Optical MouseFree

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

A computer of that low a spec and 2 years old is not worth over £400, try closer to £10 - £50 for a dealer or the £100 - £200 selling local if at all.

Coming from a computer shop myself i can tell you we would offer £25 because its only worth for parts, more if it comes with a monitor. If you have a local cash generator they would give you around £150 if you have the screen, keyboard and mouse or nothing if its just the tower.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I agree, your computer isn't worth the £450 you are expecting. I have a far higher spec machine that I'm looking to sell but I don't expect that kinda price. Although, I do think babyjenniferLB has been a bit harsh and computer shops would give you more than £25 (I used to own a computer company so have a rough idea).

Your best bet would be to strip down the computer and sell the parts on ebay. I would keep your monitor and use it with your Mac. You should be able to get a G4 tower for about £200 or a G5 iMac for £300-£400.

9. albiond thread starter macrumors newbie

*gulp*

ok, thanks for your input guys, seems like im going to have to take a massive hit and appreciate the computer market moves quick!

That means then i need a cheap Mac and , not being overly technical myself, is ebay worth the risk?:confused:

10. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

11. Bossworld macrumors member

This is your problem:

Intel® Core 2 Duo E4600 processor (2.40GHz, 800MHz, 2MB cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English
    3072MB 667MHz (2x1024 + 2x512) Memory
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100
    1.0TB (7200RPM) SATA Dual Hard Drives (2X500GB)
    16x DVD +/- RW Drive
    Dell A225 Speakers
    19-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Internal Wireless PCI Card
    Belkin F5D7632 ADSL Modem/Wireless Router (802.11g) - UK
    Belkin 4 Socket SurgeMaster, 2m Cable

For £285: http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/186470/dell-vostro-400-2-4ghz-c2d-3gb-1tb-/

---

You should hope to get about £100 for your machine, probably £60 or so for the monitor? Screen prices seem to have gone up recently, not sure why. It's just unfortunate that you've not really got any bits that upgraders would want for other machines (as an example, athlon xp 3200s go for about £50 which is ridiculous, but people are willing to prolong the death of their old machines). In all honesty if money's tight (but not that bad to keep it), i'd get the dell unless you desparately want a mac

12. albiond thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, plenty to think about. Im running Pro Tools LE 7 and it just isnt compatible with my PC- its been a constant fight against bugs and errors etc. I want to get a Mac because theyre designed for this sort thing- i need reliability!