PC formated hard drive with Imac running snow leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by socalguy81, Jul 2, 2011.

1. socalguy81 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm still in the process of learning mac. I had a dell computer that crashed and I still have the hard drive and I was wondering is there away that I could recover my photos from that hard drive if I get a hard drive encloser? Also what software will I need to pull these photos out of the hard drive without hurting my imac as I believe the pc had a virus. Or is there away that I could pull it without hooking it up to my mac with a tool I can buy? Any advise would be greatly thankful.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The drive is likely formatted NTFS. Mac OS X can read NTFS natively, so it will be simple to drag files from that drive to your Mac's drive. To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    Just drag and drop files with Finder. No Windows virus can affect Mac OS X, because no Windows apps can run on Mac OS X.

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install: