PC free: a reality or a phantasm?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Danoc, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

Can you use the iPad without your Personal "traditional" computer?

Even with iOS 5, will it be possible to be PC free?

I don't see yet how I can make great websites, except for blogging, with the iPad. Other than that, with some improvements needed in Pages and websites (eg. file attachment), I could be able to use the iPad only.

Needless to say that my user type is mobile, I don't need/want a home station, but a mobile computer. We are not speaking about power users.

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It has been said a number of times, and even Apple loyalists have said that the iPad really is more a consumption than a creation device.
    There is no real reason why this can't change in the future of course.
    The biggest hurdles really are:

1: The power of the iPad. Which will improve over time.
    2: The size of the screen. Which won't improve over time.
    3: The user interface, which is tricky to implement something with a very complex and flexible creation side of things, with finger sized controls on the screen.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Apple, as usual, was being dramatic rather than broad when "PC-Free" was mentioned. You'll still need the truck (PC), but will be free from the need to plug your new iPad/iPhone/Touch into it (the PC).

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

That was not a dramatic statement by Apple... They clearly stated (as you too have qualified) the specific intent of the "PC Free" comment.

But what has happened is that a majority of people don't read enough... they read the headline or the few words in a larger font and run off filling in the blank as to what they think it means.

Whether or not Apple knows that and exploits it is another question.

5. 62tele macrumors 6502a

That's not really accurate.

If I recall, iOS 5 allows network creation for wifi. Once that is done, you connect directly to the cloud and you could be good to go.

Many people do not need anything more powerful than basic word processing (pages), e-mail, internet, photo, music, etc.

You could easily exist desktop/laptop free.

You either have no vision or blinded by your prejudices.

6. MTI, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

MTI macrumors 65816

Evolution of computers for most consumers . . . desktops . . . laptops . . . short lived netbooks . . . slate/pads. So called "power users" and gamers like to think that they are the epicenter of computing, but in reality the average consumer doesn't need all the horsepower/hardware to accomplish their tasks . . . because they have lives that don't revolve around the technology, they want technology to assist their lives, not consume it.

Server based computing eliminates the need for storage space on devices and there's plenty of input and output options for pads . . . that's the future.

Analogy . . . there are people that may actually need a 2 ton truck that goes 200 miles per hour for their jobs . . . but most folks don't. :D

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Sure yu could do it, but why would you want to?

First off, the speed. A traditional computer is so much faster. Sure the iPad is fast for what it is, but a laptop will still blow it away. On a computer websites load in fractions of a second while the ipad still takes around ten seconds to load. On a computer you see no checkerboard pattern, scrolling is super smooth, and you never have to wait for video to buffer.

Second, is storage. The maximum you can have is 64gb. And with icloud you only get 5gb. Thats what, 3 hd movies? There is also no external hard drive support, so you have to go completely to streaming and not worry about anything you may have bout until now.

Third is compatibility. The iPad has so many limitations as far as compatible software, accessory ports, and limited file management/file software support. So if you find something you like online, you can't download it, you can't view flash as well a certain kinds of java or direct x software, you cant get music on you device outside of iTunes, you cant have any type cd or DVD support, you're limited to what's in the app store for programs.

Forth is what has been mentioned before, and that is creation. If you want to write a report, it's just much easier to do on a computer, and not just because of the keyboard. On a computer you can have a bunch of resource websites open, have your word proccessor (word, pages, ect.) and just go back and forth between them all so quickly and effortlessly. Sure you could write on the iPad, but it's a lot more trouble.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is great and can do some things better, like any type of handwriting or hand drawn type programs, it's lighter, smaller, gets better battery life, and is a better ereader than a laptop. But to completely replace your computer it still has some ways to go. If you can only afford one, get a computer unless you specifically need the iPad for a certain use case.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Hey, thanks for adding another insult 4D to the pile. :D

9. Carouser macrumors 65816

'A number of Apple loyalists' have also said the exact opposite; stop trying to shore up your opinion as anything more than that.

You have no idea how iCloud works; it's not 5GB on top of your 64GB storage and has nothing to do with movies.

The misinformation on this board is terrible.

10. jon1987, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

jon1987 macrumors regular

I think "PC Free" can't definately work for some users. I have been using only my iPad and iPhone for about two months now since my little boy decided to jump up and down on it. I have not been able to afford to replace it but I'm doing just fine with my iOS devices. When iOS 5 comes along it will be great for me and I doubt I will use a PC again.
    I am however a consumption based user and don't develop or make websites. I just consume consume consume.

Apple have already said that your music and videos don't count towards your icloud storage, your whole library will be on there. The 5 gig limit is for back ups and emails and such.

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Will they be adding movies? Right now it's only music. And even if they did it would only be movies you buy from iTunes. And they said pictures don't count, but what about videos you shoot?

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think you would struggle to find anyone, apart from those on strong medication, that would insist without question that the iPad is the ideal content creation tool.

Virtually everyone agree's that it's best at consuming data, and it able to do some limited creation at the moment.

In the future of course this may change, but either the iPad or the software needs to dramatically change for this to become a workable/practical idea.

13. jon1987 macrumors regular

:eek: Ah bum I got carried away with myself then, you are right movies are not included iCloud. I do apologies my mind was somewhere else ( Food )

Good question about movies your shoot yourself, I will do some digging.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

Poor Piggie, equivocating again. P writes "Apple loyalists agree the iPad really is more a consumption than a creation device" but when called on it acts like he originally said "few people would insist without question that the iPad is the ideal content creation tool". Nice dodge.

Classy way to perpetuate stigma against mental illness and pharmacological treatment, too.

'Virtually everyone' without any kind of source (or anybody else piling in here to reaffirm the claim) is the same as 'I'm still making @#$% up". People have posted again and again about all the productive work they do with their iPads.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It has certainly become a lot closer to reality for many people thanks to the promise of iCloud.

I think the question looks at the wrong thing. I think the reality is that todays personal computer (and I'd include Macs in that) simply isn't very good at meeting the computing-digital management needs of a great many people.

There are a great many people who simply want to be able to communicate (via e-mail, Facebook, Skype, etc.) and to find out information via the web. Throw in some light gaming, playing and watching media, and you really have summarized what 80% of people do with 90% of their "computer time." Why then force them to buy an expensive, noisy, often bulky and trouble-prone box of a "personal computer?" The PC as it exists now seems to require an inordinate amount of knowledgeable, "hands on" maintenance. Weekly security patch downloads. Defragging. Virus protection.

I know dozens of people whose "my documents" and "my pictures" directories are overloaded with junk. Copies of copies of copies of documents they don't even want in the first place. Photos in the wrong directories. Its not that these people are stupid - its just that they don't really understand how a "hierarchical file system" works on a computer. Why force them to learn?

I can think of many such people who would be thrilled to be able to live in a "post PC" house. That they could bring an iPad home, or be given one as a gift, and all they'd need to do is type in a username and password, and get on with doing what they wanted. And if the iPad updated and backed itself up to the cloud automatically, in the background, with no effort from them - so much the better.

We aren't there - yet. I think iOS 5 holds out great promise, but I think we'll need to see how it works in practice, in a widespread release and among millions of "regular folks" before we can make a true determination.

But be assured of one thing: If iOS 5 does make a PC-free existence possible, then a lot of people are going to choose to live that way,

16. Siggen macrumors 6502

Talking from personal experience with iOS5 beta,

I ONLY connect my iPad to my PC when I'm doing developer related stuff.
    So for me its completely Computer free device.

17. Danoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Danoc

When I look at iOS 5, Apple insists on "edition", not only consumption.

I managed to write a resume on Pages for iPad. Done. I can email it, but I can't attach it to job search websites! :mad:

18. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Get iCab and you will be able to do just that unless they use flash.

Re. Pc free well that is really just meant for synching, backup and updates, it was not implied to be a total replacement for a PC.

19. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

4. Pixel Density.

I owned iPad 1, and I won't own another until I can't see pixels. ;)

20. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

It's neither a reality nor a phantasm. It's a term used by Jobs, master of marketing, to emphasize the growing importance of mobile devices and Apple's intent of making them independent from a common source (PC). So, while we could say mobiles will be 'PC free' and sync/update on their own, "PCs" or traditional powerhouse computers will still be used, there are many things these mobiles can't do that a computer exceeds at.

As I said, it's all marketing. All it means is that mobiles will be independent, but doesn't necessarily imply that PCs will cease to be used.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes it was. Most average people don't want more than the iPad can do. In Apple's mind it's on the same field as the PC now (that was even illustrated in the keynote).

That's because you've spoilt yourself with an iPhone 4 ;). I know how you feel.

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would have thought this to be obvious but...

It can be PC-free depending on what you use your PC for. I program and use Adobe CS for work so there is no illusion that it can replace my PC.

What Apple really mean is that you no longer need a PC to manage your iPad.

23. err404 macrumors 68020

The iPad with iOS5 is PC-Free in that you can do anything that the iPad is capable of w/o owning or having access to a PC. For many this will be a sufficient device to replace what they use a PC for, however today these people are the minority.

24. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

we will never be "PC Free" some of us actually have work to do...

25. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

What I think you'll eventually see is the merging of the iPad and MacBook pro, same with windows 8 and they're tablet interface. You'll have you're iPad with the full features you have on youre Mac but with a touch interface then you can dock it and becomes osx interface to use with keyboard and touchpad, but everything you have stored in the cloud or on the device will be accesable with both interfaces. These iPad will have all the specs in current MacBooks and give you one device that works. The iPhone will also get all these features and everything will be synced, but the iPhone won't get that dock or keyboard interface.