PC Free iOS5

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mess, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

ok guys, sorry for another ios 5 thread but this is the crux for me. If ios5 does what i want then im going to go buy an ipad2. I have held back for this very reason...

Ok, my question for those of you that are playing with ios5 currently in beta,
    If ios5 is installed on the ipad, can you then wirelessly sync your iphone with it? and by that i mean, removing/adding songs, contacts movies etc as you would from your mac/pc as normal, with content on the ipad and update the phone with it?

Thats basically what i want the ipad to do. Hold all my music apps etc, then be able to sync them to my iphone, so i dont have to go back to the mac.

Andy

2. wackymacky, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Have you read the news?

When the new iOS is released, idevices with iOS 5 pre-installed will set them self up over the air (presume this will need wifi rather than 3g due to bandwidth)

Using iCloud any apps/contacts etc and music (upto 10 devices for music) will sync if associated with the SAME iCloud account over the air. i.e the cloud will do what iTunes is supposed to do keeping your devices in sync.

this isn't peer to peer between devies, but rather via iCloud.

(I'm not sure about removing music, though. and the automatically downloading prior bought music is currently limited to the USA, no doubt due to record company agreements)

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

If you sync/store everything via iCloud, this should be possible. Syncing the iphone with the iPad directly without iCloud will not work though.

If you don't value your privacy and don't mind storing everything on a big corporations server where the profile generated from your data can be given to the highest bidder anytime without your knowledge, go for it.

4. Mess thread starter macrumors 6502

Mess

Thanks for the reply, I did read the news and most of the info on it but its the removing of tracks from the iphone to make room for new and then getting them on the phone is the main part in after.

and you make a good point that also concerns me. Privacy will be interesting when the iCloud hits the mainstream.

5. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Remember too that at the moment iCloud is limited to 5GB for general-purpose data. There are strong hints in the beta that you'll be able to purchase additional storage but we don't know when that will happen or how much it will cost.

6. Mess thread starter macrumors 6502

Mess

thats not a problem at the moment as I could just use the matching function and hold all my music on there. that shouldnt be an issue as music isnt included in that 5GB from what i understand.

7. peterjcat macrumors 6502

True, it's just that you mentioned movies as well which would start to present a problem pretty quick.

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Using the cloud will for sure increase the usage of encryption / decryption skills of average user. Also today i would not like that each admin in the hosting company can see private pictures or my tax documents. of course the SLA will state that the admins will not eadthe files but we will not be able to audit the hosting companies. We are and will be responsible for our data.

But a simple encryption will help to keep the data visible to those whom you share the key with.