PC Games on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Holyshoot, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Holyshoot macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was wondering if/how it's possible to put a PC game disc in a macbook pro and play it. I had a sudden urge to go get Left 4 Dead and play it till my eyeballs fell out but when I got to the store and saw the huge PC letters on all the games, I realized I'd never heard of a video game being made for Mac. What's up with that, anyway?

So, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

2. celticpride678

No, you can’t just take the game disc and play it into Mac OS X. Your only choice is to BootCamp your Mac (put Windows on it) and play it from there.

3. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

That's not true. There are games made for Macs but there are definitely more games made for Windows. I have a few Mac games on my computer. Apparently you haven't looked hard enough.

If you are trying to play a game that isn't made for Macs then celticpride678 is right you have to install Windows onto your Mac if it's an Intel Mac.

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Unless it is stupidly cheap you are better off buying the windows version of a game anyway. Games just work better in windows.

5. richu96 macrumors newbie

crossover

In my experience Crossover games has worked well for me, but it can be glitchy sometimes. The best way to do it would be to install windows in bootcamp. Here's the link to the Crossover website:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Although it has some success, I've had more errors than perfect installs/performance. Crossover now is what virtualization software was a few years ago when. Give a few more years of development and Crossover could be a near perfect way of using applications through from different OS's.

But for right now, Boot Camp is the best way to go unless it's a Blizzard game. Blizzard is one of very few who do multi platform gaming right and experience is identical to that of Windows.

7. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Really now? I better stop running my Mac games under OSX! :eek:

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Some games are poorly ported and thus run better under windows.
    I only play blizzard games atm, and they all run great on macs.

The only other games I've played on my MBP is Age of Conan and it ran good in Bootcamp

9. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I'm using Parallels 4.0 for playing Counterstrike and Microsoft Office (yes, I know it's not a game :p ) and it works perfectly, no glitches, no crashes...nothing! IMO Parallels is better because you don't have to shut down OSX to get into Windows

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I haven't seen any evidence of that. Even if the Windows version had a few extra frame rates I haven't seen to the naked eye the Mac versions of the same games on Windows play any worse on Mac OS X. Stop spreading FUD.

11. zbasarab macrumors member

99% of computer games made within the past 4 years will not be able to be played in parallels or vmware. Parallels/vmware are emulations and therefore do not have direct access to the computer's graphics card- so computers games with more modern graphics needs cannot be played.

in most situations the only possibility of playing a game is to use bootcamp.

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Supposedly the latest version of VMware Fusion will support DX9 at near native performance (I'll believe it when I see it). I think technology will continue to get better and with more powerful hardware comes the ability to share resources more effectively.

But alas, at this time bootcamp is the best way to play Windows Games.

Cheers,

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You are quite the fanboy, arent you?

[​IMG]

Obviously theres no difference between those two bars :rolleyes:

One could probably crank the AA up another notch on the windows version and still have higher framerates than the mac copy. If you cant tell the difference between 2xAA and no AA then you need to see an optician.

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you live in New Zealand visit totallymac.com

It sells all mac stuff and mac compatible stuff, and it has a Mac games section:D