PC Glossy vs Mac Glossy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MCIowaRulz, Aug 28, 2010.

1. MCIowaRulz macrumors 6502

I have a Dell XPS 1640 and due to the Macbook i had exhibiting the freezing issue, I sent it back. I'm wondering about the glossyness of the Macbook Pro 15, vs the XPS 1640 from Dell
    Is the Macbook Pro have less or more glare then the Dell?
    I ask because i'm considering getting the glossy Macbook Pro
    I will use Photoshop and Rapidweaver on them and Final Cut Pro for school

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It does have a glass covering over the screen, so it is very shiny. Personally, I don't mind it, because I like the look and the richness of colors, plus the backlight gets pretty bright.

3. MCIowaRulz thread starter macrumors 6502

Brighter then a Dell 1640?
    I've tried to find contrast ratio's/brightness for both screens but no such luck
    Is contrast MORE IMPORTANT or LESS than brightness for a screen?

(I also have 20/40 vision)
    So a bright screen is a must

1680x1050 is what i'm looking at
    Thanks

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

If you're going for the Hi Res screen on the Macbook Pro then you may as well opt for the antiglare option, that way you have nothing to be concerned about it in terms of glossiness.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not sure about the dell vs mbp deal, I'm not too familiar with dells these days. If you have a hard time seeing, the high resolution might cause you an issue, however if it's not, I would consider the antiglare option

6. MCIowaRulz thread starter macrumors 6502

Not to turn this into another Matte vs Glossy:)
    (Believe me i've read plenty of them)
    I will get the AntiGlare as many people on this site (and Anandtech) say the AntiGlare is simply better. esp for me with my vision and for photoshop/final cut pro use
    This XPS screen is on Max brightness and I can't watch a Movie on it without the lights off, due to the overhead florescent lights in the dorm room that i'm at.
    And, the fact that my eyes do get tired after i've been on the computer for 5-6 hrs. a day