PC GTX 285 on ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ventro macrumors 6502a

Rominator should definitely do this. I'd buy one.

2. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

I have to wonder how legit this is. It is one thing for us to fiddle around privately with ROMS to see what we can do with cards we have bought ourselves, but quite another to make a business out of it based on Nvidia's IPR. Unless this is a one off private sale of a spare one this could be an awkward business.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Is it legal to manipulate the card at a hardware-level and resell it?

4. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

knock-off pricing

I snagged the real deal EVGA gtx 285 for Mac from Amazon last week for $420 including shipping. Amazon's pricing rises and falls nearly every day depending on which of their suppliers has stock. Mine shipped from Nashua, NH, which suggests it may have actually come from MacConnection.

Someone will probably buy this, but it hardly seems worth it to go with a knock-off for only $9 less after shipping. Pricing these injected units at $379 or so would provide more of an incentive to buy them. They'd make a killing selling 10 a day at a unit profit of $25-30.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Thing is, these aren't injected. You can't "inject" a card. Injectors are files for OSX to identify new cards. These seem to have the "Rominator Mod" which is to solder a new ROM chip on the PCB and then flash it. For 9$ less, still not worth it?

6. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

I stand totally corrected about the process, Cindori. Thanks for the clarification.

7. ManiG macrumors member

Last I checked, I'm preeeeeetty sure you're allowed to modify and sell your own property. :)

8. Abidubi macrumors 6502

The ROM is not your own property. Just like OSX is not your own property. You cannot burn 500 disks of OSX and sell them for $5 cheaper than what apple sells it for. You can however sell your copy of OSX, 1 time and meaning you no longer use it any more.

I suppose technically, if the guy were buying 50 mac 285s, then flashing 50 PC 285s and then destroying the mac cards, it might be legal. But that would be the stupidest thing ever.

9. MacVidCards Suspended

Yeah, I made that card.

I have a standing offer to do these cards at cost in my "testing the First Flashed GTX285" thread. People in LA can bring them over to me and I will solder on chip and flash for a six of Stella or Bass. Or you can mail it to me, as greeneyeddevil did.

I only do EVGA cards as a measure of support to them. They still sell a GTX285.

The seller in question is a UCLA student who works a campus job and is selling a few cards on the side to put himself through school. In return he does some artwork for my TV commercials.

Anyone with moral issues with that should step into the Flash the 4870 thread and convince everyone to flash their cards back to PC and pay Apple their $200 ROM premium...everyone who has flashed one has deprived Apple of a sale. In for a penny, in for a pound.

10. XandeR803 macrumors member

Is it possible to flash higher clock speeds to the rom? The GTX 285 seems to have a fair bit of headroom.