PC guy needs help with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Forcey, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Forcey macrumors newbie

Ok, I confess; I am not a Mac or Apple guy. In fact, I am as firmly PC as the character on the commercials (you know, the really obnoxious Apple TV ads?).

Anyways, here's my predicament. I have a Dell Desktop with a Brother MFC-420CN multifunction printer. Have recently purchased an Airport Extreme because I needed a print server AND new wireless router. Am so far pleased with the Airport Extreme. The Brother printer is NOT wireless enabled; ergo, I needed the print server. Connected to the USB port of the Extreme and after some fiddling (no where in the product guide does it tell you that you need to used Bonjour to setup the printers on each laptop), I've got my wireless printing.

Problem: I cannot use the other functions of my printer (such as scanning or faxing) on my desktop now.
    Now, I understand that the Extreme does not support the multifunction capacity of the printer, and frankly I don't need it too. I do not wish to scan/fax from the laptops. But I DO want to still maintain the ability to scan/function from the desktop, which I now can't, unless I disconnect the printer from the Extreme and plug it into my Dell's USB port. This is of course a hassle, because I assume that I need to then 'rediscover' the printer on each laptop when I replug it into the Extreme.

Any more elegant suggestions? Would using a USB hub work? I'm at a loss; I like the Extreme and don't want to return it just because of this.

2. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Like you said, the Airport Extreme is a print server and only will act like a print server and not a multifunction print server.

But, I see that you have an ethernet enabled printer so why not just plug it into the ethernet port of your airport extreme, then you'll have network scanning and printing.

3. Forcey thread starter macrumors newbie

Duh. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the most simplest. I can't believe I didn't even think of that. :eek:

Thanks. I'll give it a shot; it appears that the printer should be able to handle it!