PC guy needs Mac help.....please?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NorthrichMarty, Jun 23, 2014.

1. NorthrichMarty, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

NorthrichMarty macrumors newbie

So, I have been tasked with being the Tech Director at my church and there are upgrades they wish to accomplish. We have no Mac people at all in our church (it is a small church-about 100 members). I am not sure how much I can really go in to the local Apple Store and get them to answer for free, so hence my presence here.

Here is what we want to accomplish:

Presentation Software torun Powerpoint files, videos, text, etc. (Am currently considering Pro Presenter).
    Needs to be able to display to multiple displays (flat screen TV's, projectors, as well as the computer screen).

What I currently have is a MacBook Pro. I do not even know how to look and see what it's configuration is as far as any hardware installed, RAM, OS version, etc.

Once I learn how to find this information, I then need to learn what I need to accomplish as far as hardware in the least expensive way possible.

My question is what do I need, hardware and software, to display up to 4 different images on as many as 4 different resolution displays (2 different generations of projectors, base Mac screen, flat screen TV's)?

If this is outside the scope of this forum, I will gladly slink away :).

Is this to complex for my local Apple Store? Most people I have had contact with there seem to be trained in selling, but not so much in tech.

Let me just add, I am in no way an anti-Mac person....just always used PC's and never had any reason to explore the world of Mac's. I am a firm believer that each platform has it's strangth's and weaknesses and it really just depends what you are going to do with it.

2. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I have dealt with a few Church IT guys setting up these systems.

From my experience and the reviews I've seen, Pro Presenter is the way to go.

Does the setup have the box that automatically splits the video or are you going to be relying on the Macbook to split the video?

If you are relying on the Macbook to split the video, you are going to run into issues with 4 displays. Most of the setup's I've seen have an external box to split the video to the projectors. I just helped a local Church in Forney, Tx get setup with a Mac Pro for their ProPresenter machine.

Can you go to the Apple logo in the top left corner and click "About this Mac"
    This will tell you what the CPU and Ram specs are. That will help us know what type of machine you are trying to use.