Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
The fact is - that PC's are better for photos, video, games and music in terms of personal entertainment use and ultimately what you can do. However the platform assumes a slightly higher degree of knowledge and ability in terms of knowing how your computer works.

If on the other hand you don't quite know what you're doing, then Macs - or more specifically iLife - may in all likelihood work better for you as it's more elegantly integrated/working for the absolute beginner, while bearing in mind that those tools provided are very easy to grow out of if you are a fast learner.

It's one of those situations where you shouldn't flatter yourself to get the solution which really works for you.

No/little clue and relatively simple needs - Mac.
Lotsa clue and flexible needs - Windows.

Except for getting it all exactly backwards you are correct. Windows are excellent machines for people that don't know any better.

* Any tech guy who claims Macs come with a one button mouse only is still living in the previous decade.

I guess they had my brand new MBP in the backroom for 10 years, cuz it only has one button. :p

Waragainstsleep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2003
UK
I confess I have only read the first two pages of this thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but what exactly is your wife going to study?
If she is doing film, photography or gaming, then PC guys argument might make sense to the uneducated. Lets overlook the fact that most films are made with Final Cut studio on Macs. We won't worry about their much better market share among professional photoshop users either. Not to mention the much more consumer friendly iLife and Final Cut Express.

Here is some potentially more useful advice though. She is taking advice from the work PC guy. Why don't you talk to the PC guys at her college? I bet they'd be more Mac friendly. And more credible to your wife if she has any sense.

I can't believe it went over twenty posts before anyone mentioned Boot Camp/VMWare. Surely a perfect solution.

iMan G5

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
^^ what is that thing below your trackpad to the right? OMG ANOTHER BUTTON! There is TWO buttons on the MBP, but they are set to act as a regular click.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Except for getting it all exactly backwards you are correct. Windows are excellent machines for people that don't know any better.

I guess they had my brand new MBP in the backroom for 10 years, cuz it only has one button. :p

Now, in my defense, that's a track pad, not a mouse. :p :p

jaz419

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
this might be long since settled, but i figured id jump in.

im a "PC guy" in the respect that i fix computers (PC's only) for a few law firms and health care providers in the area. im basically on call 24/7 so whenever someone has comp trouble, weather its installing a program or replacing a motherboard etc, i have to go out and fix the problem.

anyways, some of my clients find it strange that when i reach in my bag and pull out my own computer (to check network connections, find information etc..) i pull out a macbook:)

sometimes they ask why.
i never have to fix my own computer.....
thats nice.

this may due to my job but for the most part, i hate pc's

ktbubster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2007
US
I bought my wife the Mac Mini when it first came out a few years ago. She is paralyzed on her left side, has a quarter of her vision and only half a brain and has no problem using her Mac. She loves it, the kids love it, I love my Macbook pro. I guess she makes the saying "I can do it with half a brain and my hands tied behind my back" about true :eek:

- James
http://www.thearmstrongs.org

oh my! Do you mind if I ask what happened to her? Perhaps it's rude, but since you mentioned it, I can't help but wonder. It sounds like quite an ordeal whatever it was!

I'm glad she and your kids love the mini so much :) and to the OP.... i'm glad she's coming around :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
That's not a fact, it's an opinion.

And Apple's Pro-level apps (Final Cut, Logic, etc.) are certainly not for the clueless.

See, none of you Applezombies are listening (or reading) in this case. At the Pro level, Apple's major advantage is historical. At the Pro level in media, there isn't actually anything the Windows platform can do these days that the Apple can't do. However, the opposite is true as well.

And if you are at the professional level, it is assumed that you do have a working knowledge of the platform you're working on. We're talking about the casual user here, which is why I laid out the differences for that user class in the simplest manner possible.

But outside that narrow confine (FCP/LP the only thing you guys can bring up? Now that's old) Windows definitely has the edge in terms of application flexibility.

As an and user, if you actually want to get stuff done you're ultimately not choosing an OS, you're choosing an application platform. It's not that much about support (which in the consumer case might be argued in favour of Windows if you can afford a proper PC - if you can afford a Mac, you can), and it's not about 'keeping jobs' that some of you guys seem so worried about. However at the most basic level, there is the usability of the OS to think about for novice users - and that is where OS X comes in.

My business doesn't have an IT department and IT is not my first task, which means that I/my colleagues don't like to waste time setting up computers and fixing them - and we all do just fine on Windows as well as Apple (hardware gives us lots of gyp though) and Linux, because we all know what we're doing. I use Windows over Apples for home entertainment, because I have better, less dumbed-down possibilities and because I know what I'm doing. An important distinction here is thinking you know what you're doing and knowing what you're doing. And apparently at least one of you has a ways to go.

What I said is, well, what I said. If you're slightly more of a domestic power user, then Windows should be your thing because it is more flexible and it will scale better as a general purpose platform as your expertise increases. If your needs are basic and you still live slightly in fear of computers, then Apple is your best solution.

And in a professional capacity, if you work in a very limited niche which the Apples are historically stronger at, you may feel otherwise... but until the tools available on the OS X platform increases or changes to reflect the Windows variety / quality, the fact won't change.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
My dell machine at work is doing great.. zero problems with it.

Nevermind that I'm running Fedora Core 7 x64 Linux on it heh.

The main problem with PCs is that it is fairly easy for users to screw them up if they aren't properly restricted.

My PC and most of the ones I build for family and friends have very few problems, mainly because my friends and family are not morons.

a Mac out of the box does do a better job of keeping the average user out of trouble, but I don't think they are really any more reliable than PCs in most ways.

I love my mac mini and my windows box (which I'm typing on now). Anyone else actually enjoy both platforms?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I love my mac mini and my windows box (which I'm typing on now). Anyone else actually enjoy both platforms?

I use my MBP for portability and more intensive tasks. My 5+ year old PC box still runs well, though I wonder how much longer it will last. I like using both.
Honestly, the difference for me is the OS. Not in terms of usability, but maintenance -- OS X has not given me any hassles, and yesterday's upgrade to Leopard was seamless. On the other hand, I would never install Vista, and reinstalling XP is a hassle.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
oh my! Do you mind if I ask what happened to her? Perhaps it's rude, but since you mentioned it, I can't help but wonder. It sounds like quite an ordeal whatever it was!

I'm glad she and your kids love the mini so much :) and to the OP.... i'm glad she's coming around :)

She was attacked leaving work one night. Did not find her until the next morning and she has severe head trauma and a stroke. She has recovered well considering what she has gone through. I have been redoing the website so if you want some reading you will have to use the old one, there are blogs going back to 2002. She really is lucky to be alive today. It was touch and go in the beginning. Was in intensive care for three months and on top of that she contracted some bad staph infections in her brain and abdomen.

Thanks for asking, it does not bother us anymore. You have to move on with life sometime.

- James

old logs:
http://carol.thearmstrongs.org/

new website:
http://www.thearmstrongs.org/

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
Well, I have had my MBP now for a few months. My wife, who at first was skeptical because of what the PC guy told her, is now wanting to buy herself a White Macbook.

She has even been praising the Mac at work, around the PC guy, lol.

Funny what a few months of Mac will do to you!

Haha awesome. They always come around.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
If you're slightly more of a domestic power user, then Windows should be your thing because it is more flexible and it will scale better as a general purpose platform as your expertise increases. If your needs are basic and you still live slightly in fear of computers, then Apple is your best solution.

Sometimes while visiting MR something catches my eye and it demands a response.
The above quote illustrates how just the right combination of words can outwardly make sense when read quickly, but on not-so-careful analysis fails to make any sense at all. Being in the IT field for some 25 years I would be hard pressed to describe just what is meant by "(Windows is)... more flexible and it will scale better as a general purpose platform as your expertise increases". The only thing I can think of is the OTHER myth, that Macs are for dumb people who care little of how the computer works and Windows are for the real "power users".
I apologize in advance... but this is ludicrous, and no better than the words from the IT guy who first frightened the wife with inaccurate drivel.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
I have been telling the Misses that I want a Macbook (or MBP) for sometime now. We have always used PCs but I am sick of Windows. I have tried to explain to her all the cool things Macs can do, etc. etc.

Today while she is at work their "PC Guy" comes to FIX some of their PC's. She says something to him about me getting ready to buy a Mac in the next month or so.... Guess what happens.. He "explains" to her why it isn't a good idea to get a Mac. Tells her how PCs are better for games, photos, video, etc. etc. etc. He tells her how I should be buying a Sony Viao (sp?) or Dell XPS for what I am wanting to do.

All I want it for is iLife 08, word processing, internet, and video/podcast watching while at work. I am not a "PC Gamer." I will likely also get the .Mac service. I want A MACBOOK (or MBP). Not a Vista PC.

He tells her all sorts of stuff and now she is kinda against the Mac idea. (She will be using the computer at college soon.

Any advice?

You get a MacBook with your own money, and tell your wife to purchase a Vista PC with her own money.

SheriffParker

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2006
The land of love
I use Windows over Apples for home entertainment, because I have better, less dumbed-down possibilities and because I know what I'm doing. An important distinction here is thinking you know what you're doing and knowing what you're doing. And apparently at least one of you has a ways to go.

What I said is, well, what I said. If you're slightly more of a domestic power user, then Windows should be your thing because it is more flexible and it will scale better as a general purpose platform as your expertise increases. If your needs are basic and you still live slightly in fear of computers, then Apple is your best solution.

What can you do in the home entertainment field in Windows that is "dumbed down" in OSX?

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003

And in a professional capacity, if you work in a very limited niche which the Apples are historically stronger at, you may feel otherwise... but until the tools available on the OS X platform increases or changes to reflect the Windows variety / quality, the fact won't change.

I don't care for blind worship of Apple either, but if you are advocating Windows both at home and the office except maybe for an absolute beginner, what are you doing on a Mac site?

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Not married, huh? :D

Luckily in my case, if I were to have a boyfriend (and ergo, a civil union) I wouldn't have to put up with the BS that goes with it; sharing the costs but allowing one to keep ones own spending money.

Hmm, now that I think about it, that's how my aunty and her husband work, same goes for my parents as well.

PS. What happened to the womens lib of 'women are doing it for themselves'?

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Well, I have had my MBP now for a few months. My wife, who at first was skeptical because of what the PC guy told her, is now wanting to buy herself a White Macbook.

She has even been praising the Mac at work, around the PC guy, lol.

Funny what a few months of Mac will do to you!
Haha very good. I bet the PC guy is still defending his views n' all! A good outcome overall

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.